APC Forum

Dragoneggs dry too fast on the surface

dangerousamateur

Do you guys have an idea how i could improve the behaviour of my dragon eggs mixture?

My problem is that the surface is dry very quickly, but under the surface the mix is still flowing like hot cheese. This is very difficult to cut and produces a lot of tiny waste granules.

If you want to give yourself a longer working time, you'll have to change the solvent you use to dissolve the NC. Acetone is common, but also evaporates pretty quickly. MEK is another common solvent and will give a little longer working times. I'd probably just go get some commercial lacquer thinner, which will be a mix of acetone, alcohols, and probably some aromatic solvents like toluene and xylene. This stuff has always had a comfortable working time for me, and should still dry overnight.

How are you currently drying them? They may dry more evenly in a sealed container than in open air.

Or on that though of sealed container, you could try the baggie method? I always have a bit of crackle dust with them though.

I often roll out a few patties (sprinkle on prime so it doesn't stick to roller) at a time and wait for them to firm up a touch and they cut perfect. You could roll out manageable patties and leave the rest in a bag. This is to make what you got work. Otherwise mumble's advice is perfect :)

I will try MEK.

But the proble is not that they dry to fast in general, but it always creates so much powder in breaking up the skin.

Drying is not the problem, working with the pattie is. I think i made it to wet.

I see. I misinterpreted what I read pretty badly here. I though your stars had acetone being driven in. It should've been obvious from this line "This is very difficult to cut and produces a lot of tiny waste granules". Sorry about that. I agree that a less volatile solvent is the solution. Edited by BurritoBandito

Maybe get a squirt bottle and try putting some acetone in and spritzing the surface? Might keep it from getting quite so hard. Haven't tried though. I just deal with the hard skin and reprocess the size granules I don't want.