APC Forum

Do I have to use Karo syrup as Corn Syrup?

hummeldike

I'm going back to the store later for some ingredients to make R-Candy (Rocket Fuel) and I don't know if they have Karo at Krogers. But I was curious if I can use any corn syrup?

Also, I'd like to know how to get corn starch out of confectioners sugar! Thanks so much.

Also, I'd like to know how to get corn starch out of confectioners sugar! Thanks so much.

Can you not just buy corn starch? Powdered sugar is not made from corn. Starches are basically polymers of simple sugars produced through the dehydration of glucose molecules in an enzyme reaction. This is how plants utilize sugars. Conversely, we convert those starches back to sugars through hydrolosis when we eat them. If you had a lab and the right enzymes, you could technically make corn starch and then even dextrin from the simple corn syrup you are getting.

I was trying to figure out if he wanted to collect the starch sans sugar, or collect the sugar sans corn starch. Either way it's futile, and he should just get the right product straight away.

Perhaps he is asking how to make corn SYRUP (or a substitute) using confectioners sugar? I don't know, I've never done R-Candy....

Can you not just buy corn starch? Powdered sugar is not made from corn. Starches are basically polymers of simple sugars produced through the dehydration of glucose molecules in an enzyme reaction. This is how plants utilize sugars. Conversely, we convert those starches back to sugars through hydrolosis when we eat them. If you had a lab and the right enzymes, you could technically make corn starch and then even dextrin from the simple corn syrup you are getting.

Is it okay to use sugar with cornstarch in it? Why or why not.

No. He is trying to take the cornstarch out of the powdered sugar. I've been down his road before. I think he recently made a post about buying powdered sugar from amazon. Powdered sugar comes with corn starch. Just use table sugar from amazon. Powdered sugar will just cost more and not have any benefit over table sugar.

I have made tons of r candy in the past. I will say that the corn syrup is unnecessary. Especially if you are asking these kinds of questions, you obviously aren't looking for the most precise and powerful rocket.

Like I mentioned before, just buy table sugar. I don't know why you have to buy or from amazon. That sounds much more expensive than going to the grocery store

I didn't get what he was asking. It all makes sense now...

Just like they said, buy the store brand of cane sugar (table sugar) and run some in a coffee mill to get it powdered. It will dissolve faster. I make rcandy now and then for smokes.

• 1 month later...

No you don't 'have' to use corn syrup when making r-candy.

As dagabu stated, it is used to make the fuel more pliable (but possibly more hygroscopic) I've used glucose syrup and it 'seems' to have the same effect as corn syrup.

If you are using the 're-crystallised' method, then you can simply use white table sugar from your grocery store. Since this process uses water (providing you use enough), it will dissolve anyway, so I don't see the benefit of using powdered sugar using this method.

If you are using the 'melted' method then you will get much better results using powdered sugar (icing sugar) Just have a look at the ingredients on the pack as some powdered confectioners sugar uses corn starch as an anti-caking agent. Using the melted method you want the sugar to melt as quick as possible without caramelising, so powdered is going to be a better choice in that regard.

Cheers.

Edited by stix

...As dagabu stated, it is used to make the fuel more pliable (but possibly more hygroscopic) I've used glucose syrup and it 'seems' to have the same effect as corn syrup...

Agreed, a study was done at Anheuser Bush bt B. J. Donnelly and others in dealing with hygroscopic properties of corn syrup. The series of tests showed that corn syrup can absorb up to 14% of its own weight in a relative humidity of 90% over a period of 14 hours at 75° F.

• Like 1

Agreed, a study was done at Anheuser Bush bt B. J. Donnelly and others in dealing with hygroscopic properties of corn syrup. The series of tests showed that corn syrup can absorb up to 14% of its own weight in a relative humidity of 90% over a period of 14 hours at 75° F.

Thanks for that interesting info dagabu, it's something that I've always suspected was the case and therefore no longer use corn syrup in my fuel mix.

I now use dextrose/glucose powder using the melted method. I give credit though to James Yawn for his "re-crystallized" sugar propellant using corn syrup method and have learned a lot of useful info from him. However, I have found it too unpredictable and inconsistent, as it's always difficult to determine when the water has been driven out completely.

Glucose powder melts at around 140C compared to sucrose at around 185C. This makes the whole procedure a lot safer and also easier to handle. I have sucrose burn scars on my fingers to prove it. :o

It also may be of interest to the op that I've found using glucose powder makes the fuel more flexible for longer when casting and not as brittle as sucrose when it cools.

Cheers.

I do not use any syrup, becouse I do not have any problems with molding it, or burning my fingers due to insensitivity. I mix stuff at ratio: 1 sugar, 2 KNO3, 0.5 water (by mass). I put the KNO3 and the water in the pan and heat it, until it gets quite warm, and most of KNO3 disolves, then I put sugar. When Rcandy is molten, only sugar is molten, while KNO3 isn't, so I suppose this method makes sure KNO3 dissolves, and recrystallizes, mixing it in and removing the need to mill the chems, becouse one of them dissolves, other melts. Results are fantastic, and i'm happy with it, so there's my 3 cents.

Thanks for that interesting info dagabu, it's something that I've always suspected was the case and therefore no longer use corn syrup in my fuel mix.

I now use dextrose/glucose powder using the melted method. I give credit though to James Yawn for his "re-crystallized" sugar propellant using corn syrup method and have learned a lot of useful info from him. However, I have found it too unpredictable and inconsistent, as it's always difficult to determine when the water has been driven out completely.

Glucose powder melts at around 140C compared to sucrose at around 185C. This makes the whole procedure a lot safer and also easier to handle. I have sucrose burn scars on my fingers to prove it. :o

It also may be of interest to the op that I've found using glucose powder makes the fuel more flexible for longer when casting and not as brittle as sucrose when it cools.

Cheers.

I recommend straight Sucrose for sugar rockets, it only absorbs 1% water.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Sigma/Product_Information_Sheet/1/s5391pis.pdf

Invert sugars such as fructose, glucose, corn syrup, are very hygroscopic and wearing welding gloves (always recommended) will protect your hands from burns at the higher temps. I use standard tooling with sugar rockets, I let it get somewhat firm and cheese-grate the mass, crush it up as much as I can and throw it in a bucket with desiccant to dry out. When I want to make a motor, i press it up with the sugar fuel just like i would make a BP or whistle rocket, with clay plug and all. I do use a silicone spray for releasing the spindle though.

A small square of foil duct tape seals off both ends of the motor and that goes into the bucket with the desiccant. I don't make segments (grains) anymore for aluminum casings, they are a PITA to use and clean, cardboard does just as good a job for a quick motor.