APC Forum

Advice regarding BP storage

Merlin

Even though it makes little sense to me since muzzle loading guns use essentially the same BP as Pyrotechnics apparently one must have a compliant storage magazine if the intent of use is for pyrotechnics. I am not a welder or much of a handyman at all so my question is does anyone know if a gun safe such as purchased at Walmart would meet the requirements? I know Cabela's has a "box" they sell which looks pretty lame for powder storage. Honestly at $300 a fire and theft resistant gun safe dedicated to bp storage would seem to make a lot more sense. I know some pyros use converted job boxes but if purchased new they cost a much as a gun safe and would probably require some modification for the locks of which I am not capable.

Please any advice appreciated. By the way I never have more than 10 lbs of bp in any form intended for pyrotechnics.

Edited by Merlin

I am in no way condoning such behavior in any way shape or form BUT if you put that powder into #1 cans that once had BP in them (flea market)... You DO NOT have to store BP in its original container in a magazine if the total weight is below #50*.

*My state and city specifies #25 being the max, check with your fire chief for clarification.

Understand that ALL of the BP is for Canons or Black Powder weapons... Hint, Hint...

Even a single gram of pyrotechnic BP (stuff you made) has to be stored in a type 4 magazine and must adhere to all Orange Book distancing etc.