APC Forum

Chemistry & Experiments File - PbO2 anode

rogeryermaw

File Name: PbO2 anode

File Submitter: rogeryermaw

File Submitted: 03 Aug 2014

File Category: Chemistry & Experiments

preparation of lead dioxide for electrolytic deposition on an inert substrate.

many methods are discussed for the prearation of lead dioxide electrodes but most require materials that are out of reach or too expensive for the home experimenter. my research indicates that lead dioxide may be deposited electrolytically onto titanium electrodes but not directly. there must be an intermediate layer since PbO2 will passivate titanium. exotic metals have been used in industry but they are ridiculous in cost. the cheaper solution is to first prepare or obtain manganese dioxide coated titanium electrodes onto which the PbO2 coating may be electrolytically deposited from solution of acetic acid. correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that the electrode must be used as a cathode to deposit the lead from solution. the prepared electrode may then be used as an anode in electrolysis projects after the desired number of layers have been achieved.

Click here to download this file

Okay, now it worked. Like mabuse00 said, it came through as a .pdf file. I don't know what happened the last time; it just wouldn't show up.

Thanks, Roger. It looks like it'll make for interesting reading (I'll report later).

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

• 2 weeks later...

File Name: PbO2 anode

File Submitter: rogeryermaw

File Submitted: 03 Aug 2014

File Category: Chemistry & Experiments

preparation of lead dioxide for electrolytic deposition on an inert substrate.

. correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that the electrode must be used as a cathode to deposit the lead from solution.

Click here to download this file

No, the substrate is connected to + to deposit the Lead Dioxide.

No, a cathode is the electrode where the reduction part is happening. But since we want the oxide we have to plate on the anode where the oxidation is happening