APC Forum

What effect is this?

AzoMittle

All right guys I'm lost, been trying to figure this one out but not really sure how they did it.

http://youtu.be/Yo5HTxMYOyw?t=5m20s

How did they get this rising effect seen between 5:20 and 5:45? They have a tail that splits several times at what looks to be random angles. Is there a name for this?

Oh and please watch the whole video, they have some really pretty shells. Very talented people.

Thank you,

AzoMittle

Splitting Comets.

They are tubes with a lift charge and fuse in the center and a star in each end. They are stacked like lincoln logs on the shell with different timings during the shell's ascent.

They are mentioned in FAST and there is a tutorial for their construction on Passfire.

Edited by nater

BTW- they are really easy to make too. They make a fun heading on a rocket spewing comets out as it rises. Crossettes are even more fun. I used discarded tubes and extra crossettes from a project.

Yes there is information on this in Shimizu FAST book.

see FAST book for reference also see attatched image.

post-10498-0-18592400-1406950943_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is it challenging to seal the tubes in a way that allows the comets out and protects them from the lift?

No.

just press cardboard disk like you press while making cakes.

and close end with kraft paper and glue.

zoom on attached image I added in previous reply.

Edited by swapnilsutar1988
  • Like 1

Huh, very cool. For those interested it is section 20.3 in FAST, also called Kyoku-Do.

So do you load it in the mortar with the comets down? I imagine that breaking down on the lift. Or would you top fuse it with QM?

Rising effects are on top of the shell, the lift is on the bottom. The shell is loaded properly. The rising effects light from the hot gasses at lift.