APC Forum

Wire-Screen Order Check

AzoMittle

Hey everyone,

I am ordering my first proper set of screens from McMaster-Carr and wanted to check if anyone would recommend changing anything. Should I add another size? Does McMaster-Carr sell any other supplies you have found to be valuable? I currently have 4, 8, 10, 12, 20, 40, 60, 100, 120 meshes.

I know most people find the 12"x12" screens to be too small but I am okay with doing smaller batches if it means I can afford more meshes with larger wire diameters.

Please see the image for my order information as is. Attachment and link are the same image.

http://imgur.com/7OdyRgk

Thank you,

AzoMittle

post-15176-0-67115700-1406784290_thumb.png

Mc Master is great for all kinds of building supplies, its like a candy store for the mechanically inclined. I got my 12 x 12 screens there as well.

sizes that I have are 2x2( this one is just mesh wire from hardware store) , 3x3, 4x4,10, 20,40,100, I don't think I would want a tighter one than 100. the 20 and 40 are good for blending. The larger sizes are for sorting star sizes. I would like more screens in the larger openings ( 1 - 4 ) for sorting the rolled stars.

I like the 12x12 inch screen size,, keeps the "mess" smaller , but I make small batches and have not used larger screens. Your going to like having a full set of screens !

I would like more screens in the larger openings ( 1 - 4 ) for sorting the rolled stars.

I know i saw sorting-screens somewhere. CNC cut from plastic "crates" that stacked neatly on one and other. Cant for the life of me remember where, now i wish i had a set. I'm slowly starting to roll stars for newyear, and while my star roller is great at making round stars, it's not that great at making them all the same size. And i don't really have any good sorting screens.

B!

.... and while my star roller is great at making round stars, it's not that great at making them all the same size. And i don't really have any good sorting screens.

B!

Me neither and wish I did as I also have different sized stars. I think that's one of the cons of rolling, at least that's been my experience so far. Probably going to try making some bucket screens or get some cheapie dollar store frisbees and drill away. Hand sorting the star sizes gets old real quick.

Hand sorting the star sizes gets old real quick.

Wire mesh sorting, with to thin wires even faster... Oh, look, square stars...

B!

I know i saw sorting-screens somewhere. CNC cut from plastic "crates" that stacked neatly on one and other. Cant for the life of me remember where, now i wish i had a set. I'm slowly starting to roll stars for newyear, and while my star roller is great at making round stars, it's not that great at making them all the same size. And i don't really have any good sorting screens.

B!

HI MrB,

That is funny I was just checking out that sight from another post http://www.mumpyro.com/tools/Bucketscreens.html So far for me I have order more screens as I mentioned above, with the combination of comp placement in the pile of stars and lots of screening It should work better for me, its just taking the time to do the screening frequently.

Matt

Me neither and wish I did as I also have different sized stars. I think that's one of the cons of rolling, at least that's been my experience so far. Probably going to try making some bucket screens or get some cheapie dollar store frisbees and drill away. Hand sorting the star sizes gets old real quick.

What kind of drill bit would you use to get a hole that large? I've never seen a 1", 1/2", or 1/4" bit at the local hardware store, the largest they have is 1/8".

I have had the same question about how to cut end plugs, how in the world do you get a 3" or 8" or what-have-you sized disc? I mean I know that McMaster sells gasket cutters (http://www.mcmaster.com/#gasket-cutters/=t3c21l) but I have to wonder how to do it for cheaper. Spending $30-90 on a tool you may only use once or twice isn't too smart.

Actual drill bits come in all manners of sizes. Anything larger than 3/8" or maybe 1/2" can sometimes be harder to find. If you look for spade bits, you'll find that they come in all sizes up to probably 2" and should be available at any self respecting hardware store. Given that yours doesn't even (allegedly) have 1/4" drill bits, I suggest you look for a better hardware store.

As far as cutting end disks, for small disks (under 1 1/2" or 2" maybe), generally you use a hole punch. For anything larger, you use a gasket cutter. You can pick up a used Allpax cutter on ebay occasionally for $30-50. You can also get a hole saw, and grind the walls to an edge. I have no idea why you think you'd only use it once. Every cylinder shell needs 4 disks. If you go through the trouble and expense of buying one, generally you intend to make more than one shell. You can also just buy end disks as well from a number of suppliers.

Also yu can buy a hole saw of the type which features just to cutting poles, which can be adjusted freely. But then you really need to have a drill press and clamp down your material.

To use these you need to take the cutting poles of and exchnge 'em so that the straight side is on the inside and the angled side on the outside.

If you remove the drill bit or not depends on the type of enddisk you want.

Also yu can buy a hole saw of the type which features just to cutting poles, which can be adjusted freely. But then you really need to have a drill press and clamp down your material.

To use these you need to take the cutting poles of and exchnge 'em so that the straight side is on the inside and the angled side on the outside.

If you remove the drill bit or not depends on the type of enddisk you want.

+1

I've even heard of using large pipe sharpening one end and putting a board to hammer on the other end.

​Harbor Freight has a cheap (cheap) tool that I have used for years for odd size disks.

gallery_9798_35_87132.jpg

Yup, I turned them around to get good cuts. They say carbide, they are not, just mild steel, I pickled mine to set a better hardness after sharpening.

Back to sorting stars, while perusing Ebay I spotted these. May order a couple or three different hole sizes.

This one has a better shipping description and more popular hole size for 3" shell.

Edited by Bobosan

Actual drill bits come in all manners of sizes. Anything larger than 3/8" or maybe 1/2" can sometimes be harder to find. If you look for spade bits, you'll find that they come in all sizes up to probably 2" and should be available at any self respecting hardware store. Given that yours doesn't even (allegedly) have 1/4" drill bits, I suggest you look for a better hardware store.

As far as cutting end disks, for small disks (under 1 1/2" or 2" maybe), generally you use a hole punch. For anything larger, you use a gasket cutter. You can pick up a used Allpax cutter on ebay occasionally for $30-50. You can also get a hole saw, and grind the walls to an edge. I have no idea why you think you'd only use it once. Every cylinder shell needs 4 disks. If you go through the trouble and expense of buying one, generally you intend to make more than one shell. You can also just buy end disks as well from a number of suppliers.

The local hardware store is a small place, more of a garden nursery than anything else; friendly people that remember your name though so I buy what I can from them.

Due to fire hazards I don't fire locally and therefore don't build often. The area is dry, grassy hills, every single year around fourth of July someone ends up setting fire to them with commercial fireworks since its legal to buy them but not to fire them here. I have no idea why I said once either though, just not thinking.

Spade bits. Hole saw. Perfect, now I know what I'm looking for, thank you Mumbles. :)

Bobosan, I tried creating an order to see how much shipping would be and eBay told me that the seller hasn't specified freight shipping costs and therefore can't be purchased. I've never used eBay before so perhaps I did something wrong but I wanted to give a heads up.

Dagabu, I really like that adjustable style, I may get one of those.

He has "pre-cut" 9x12" and when I tried to order 3 different perforation sizes @ 9x12", ebay message said seller does not offer multiple shipping discounts. Sent the seller a message but have not heard back yet.

Details on Shipping:

• If you would like a shipping quote please contact me and provide your zipcode. (use the "Ask a question" link at the bottom of the listing)
  • If your size is 9-1/4 X 12 or smaller it will fit in a "Flat Rate Envelope" and shipping will be $5.00
  • If your size is 9-1/4 X 14-3/4 or smaller it will fit in a "Legal Flat Rate Envelope" and shipping will be $5.15
  • I can fit up to 3 pieces at 12 inch length into an envelope. An envelope can be a maximum of 1/4 inch thick according to the USPS.
  • Depending on your size we can ship by USPS, FedEx, UPS or freight.
  • Most orders will go by USPS Priority Mail and I use them up to approximately $10.00 in charges,
  • Like 1

Back to the screens for a second if you don't mind.

Most of your suggested order looks pretty good. I don't think you'll find a lot of use for the 120 mesh screen though. As it is, you probably will only rarely use the 100 mesh screen unless you are grading your own metals. Basically anything you might use the 120 mesh for, 100 will be suitable. I was a little curious about why you chose welded screen for 4 mesh (screen slicing?), and a 24x36" sheet of galvanized screen for the 8 mesh?

Your selection looks great to me. I personally found that I liked having a 16 mesh screen. I used -4+16 (2FA and 3FA) for lift and larger shell burst, and -16+30ish (2Fg), for smaller shell burst and lift for smaller items. Using a larger cut gives more useful material, and less fines that needed to re-processed. It was also nice to grind hard lumps against. It was just that nice middle ground between screen strength of larger screens, and ability to break down the lump into smaller pieces of a finer screen.

Back to the screens for a second if you don't mind.

Most of your suggested order looks pretty good. I don't think you'll find a lot of use for the 120 mesh screen though. As it is, you probably will only rarely use the 100 mesh screen unless you are grading your own metals. Basically anything you might use the 120 mesh for, 100 will be suitable. I was a little curious about why you chose welded screen for 4 mesh (screen slicing?), and a 24x36" sheet of galvanized screen for the 8 mesh?

Your selection looks great to me. I personally found that I liked having a 16 mesh screen. I used -4+16 (2FA and 3FA) for lift and larger shell burst, and -16+30ish (2Fg), for smaller shell burst and lift for smaller items. Using a larger cut gives more useful material, and less fines that needed to re-processed. It was also nice to grind hard lumps against. It was just that nice middle ground between screen strength of larger screens, and ability to break down the lump into smaller pieces of a finer screen.

Yup, the 4 mesh I wanted to be able to use for slicing as it seems to be my most common star size. I assumed the woven would bend too much and give uneven corners. The 8 mesh it was the only option I saw in 304 Stainless, I just checked again and I do see it in the woven style, oh well. This way I can try out a few different styles and find out what works best for me.

My KNO3 is from Haifa-Group and is roughly table-sugar sized, I'm grinding it down by hand in a mortar-pestle. I decided to order the 120, we'll see if it's of any use or not; my sulfur has been clumping lately but has a very fine coarseness, hopefully it will work for that.

I will test everything myself of course but what would you recommend for the lift then? Do you think I could get away with using the -4+20 mesh and -20+40? Or -4+12 and -12+40? Or should I try to order a 16 whenever I next purchase from them?

I was actually a little more confused for as to why the 8 mesh screen was so much larger than the rest of the screens. If you clean off the galvanized screen it should be fine for a while though.

For lift it will depend on what you make. -4+12 is 2FA, -10+16 is 3FA, -12+20 is 4FA. If you go too fine, you can start to destroy mortars in some instances. This is actually a problem with some chinese display shells. To save on costs, they will sometimes use a finer lift powder which allows less material to be used. You'd probably be fine using 2FA and 4FA cuts for most things.

Basically cost.

For the 8 mesh it came as a cut length per foot, as opposed to 12"x12" or 24"x24" it was 36" wide and then priced by length.

I went with the the largest diameter wire that was reasonable. If there was a difference of a few cents or a dollar for a slightly larger wire I went for it (for durability reasons), if it was a $3+ for the next largest wire I went with the cheaper one.

edit: Thank you for all your help Mumbles, Dag, MrB, Bobosan, Nater, Seymour, Sidewinder, and all the others who are active here. You guys really make a big difference for me as a beginner, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have the slightest chance of success in this hobby. Thank you for being encouraging and helping with specific/general information.

Edited by AzoMittle

Mc Master is great for all kinds of building supplies, its like a candy store for the mechanically inclined. I got my 12 x 12 screens there as well.

sizes that I have are 2x2( this one is just mesh wire from hardware store) , 3x3, 4x4,10, 20,40,100, I don't think I would want a tighter one than 100. the 20 and 40 are good for blending. The larger sizes are for sorting star sizes. I would like more screens in the larger openings ( 1 - 4 ) for sorting the rolled stars.

I like the 12x12 inch screen size,, keeps the "mess" smaller , but I make small batches and have not used larger screens. Your going to like having a full set of screens !

Mcmaster is only one great source for this material - be sure to go out and compare pricing - a lot of wire mesh and wire cloth - espeically the 12" squares are bought and sold between sources and then resold to customers -

I find the best price is usually on Mcmaster - but also try http://www.bwire.com

Another source possible for the wire mesh and wire cloth screens might be - www.grainger.com - they are after all "for the ones who get it done"

The stainless perforated sheets came in yesterday. All 9x12" and pretty stout. One side has slight edges on hole circumference from the punch process but other side is smooth as a baby's butt. Building a frame is next unless I find some plastic container that these fit into nicely.

SS star screens 2

SS star screens 3

The stainless perforated sheets came in yesterday. All 9x12" and pretty stout. One side has slight edges on hole circumference from the punch process but other side is smooth as a baby's butt. Building a frame is next unless I find some plastic container that these fit into nicely.

SWEET !!! those look great ! I was just sorting some tonight, those would have been quite nice !