APC Forum

Binders

Megladon

Is there a place where I can see what works well as a binder for different chemicals? I'm digging back into fireworks after a long time away and I don't have any of my old bookmarks.

Would red gum be find as an all purpose binder?

Thanks

Here are the most common binders with their solvents. Some work better than others for certain comps, but they all have their place. Dextrin / water is probably the cheapest and works with most comps that do not contain magnesium.

Dextrin / Water

SGRS / Water

Parlon / Acetone

Phenolic Resin / Alcohol

Red Gum / Alcohol

Here are the most common binders with their solvents. Some work better than others for certain comps, but they all have their place. Dextrin / water is probably the cheapest and works with most comps that do not contain magnesium.

Dextrin / Water

SGRS / Water

Parlon / Acetone

Phenolic Resin / Alcohol

Red Gum / Alcohol

Thanks, nothing I'm doing is going to involve magnesium, so I'll try the dextrin first. Thanks.

Is there a place where I can see what works well as a binder for different chemicals? I'm digging back into fireworks after a long time away and I don't have any of my old bookmarks.

Would red gum be find as an all purpose binder?

Thanks

Hi Megladon,

Red gum can be (and is) used as a binder, but most often is used for its fuel value. Others have mentioned other options above and they're right. I'll add vinsol (AKA collophony or pine rosin) to that list; and alcohol or acetone are useful solvents.

Welcome back and be safe.

WSM B)