APC Forum

good books?

longbeard

Fireworks from a physical standpoint is much more technical. A lot more of the physics and chemistry behind various effects and devices. In my experience there is a lot less practical information on construction, and a lot more information on the theory and design behind how pyrotechnics function. I personally like it, but I could see how it would be of less interest to a lot of people. It's a rather dry read if you don't like formulas, graphs, and physics.

FAST contains a little of the same information, but I would say is much more geared toward producing devices. Physical standpoint is more of a fundamental understanding of flame production, color production, burn rates, aerodynamics, etc.

• Like 1

..... Physical standpoint is more of a fundamental understanding of flame production, color production, burn rates, aerodynamics, etc.

This is EXACTLY the reason why I desperately try to find this book...😭😢

Aha! 👍 France.... Would you ship it? Edited by Sulphurstan

Where are you located? I think I have a spare set ;)

If you won't ship to France and still have a copy, I'm interested and in Idaho. :)

Wait a minute?! Idaho?! What! Me too :)

I'm in Eastern Idaho....

I was reading the following article where I came across the name of "Uwe Krone", seems to be a professor in Germany.

Edit: Looks like he was employed in Rheinmetall , Germany and passed away( 1938-2011). RIP

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/dirk-cegiel
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/prep.201280001

https://docslide.net/documents/feuerwerk-von-der-chemie-zur-show.html

Do you people know about any books/reports authored by him?

In Pyrotechnica-VIII, there was a review of Uwe Krone's article on strobes. I don't have access to that issue of pyrotechnica, so can't comment about the contents.

cUGk761.png

Edited by sora

Dr. Uwe Krone was a brilliant pyrotechnist and could be very nice to talk to even though some people thought he was difficult or cocky even. Unfortunately he never wrote a book, probably because working for Rheinmetal and Nico made it hard for him to share what would be considered secrets of the trade by his employers.

The following obituary was published in the PEP journal:

Dr. Uwe Krone passed away on November 24, 2011 after a long battle with cancer.

Uwe Krone was born on August 20, 1938 in Bremen. He studied chemistry at the Rheinischen Friedrich-Wilhelms Universität Bonn from 1959 to 1967 and took a doctoral degree under the supervision of Prof. Dr. J. Goerdeler, at the Kekulé-Institute for Organic and Biochemistry.

As early as 1960 he started work in the field of pyrotechnics at Nico-Pyrotechnik Hanns-Jürgen Diedrichs KG in Trittau where he had been employed as a student trainee alongside his studies. From 1967 to 2003 he directed the Chemical Research and Development Department of Pyrotechnics.

The involvement of Rheinmetall GmbH at Nico-Pyrotechnik in 1970 led to a strengthening of the military part of the department’s pyrotechnics research. The years 1977 to 1982 were shaped by studies into smoke, the results of which were utilized in the development of 120 mm mortar ammunition. The plastic bonded “NT-Smoke Composition” developed at that time was less toxic than the formerly wide-spread smoke based on hexachlorethane, and could be used without a covering capsule.

One challenge in the field of “smokes and obscurants” has been the reduction of toxicity. That topic led to the development of the first non-toxic smoke based on potassium chloride and magnesium oxide as found in obscuring aerosols. This so-called “KM-smoke” was the foundation of a new fertilizer aerosol whose effectiveness was investigated in a joint project “aerosol fertilization of marred vegetation” together with the Niedersächsischen Institut für Radioökologie (NIR) and the Forstbotanischen Institut of the University Göttingen (FBI) 1. Another challenge was the spectral widening of the aerosol’s effectiveness towards the IR- and RADAR-range, that had to be proven by extensive smoke campaigns 2, 3.

Alongside these many international activities in the field of “smokes and obscurants”, over the years Uwe Krone demonstrated his passionate enthusiasm for practically every other field of pyrotechnics. Beside military pyrotechnics it was fireworks that were his real passion, a throw-back to the origins of Nico-Pyrotechnic. Numerous ideas, concepts, studies and developments originated from ideas that he thought up and developed. Notable in this respect is his work in the field of oscillating burning down light compositions 4 that resulted in the development of a 40 mm intermittently lighting torch in the course of the millennium event. By means of those torches the 180° meridian on the Fiji-islands was illuminated for a distance of 1.3 km to welcome the new millennium on December 31, 1999 at 12:00 GMT. Furthermore a newly developed “liquid igniter composition” was applicable for example in LASER-inducible igniters, bridge wire and thin layer igniter elements for automotive uses 5.

In addition to his developmental work Uwe Krone was actively involved in a variety of national and international bodies around the field of pyrotechnics and explosives. These included the committee of experts for the Explosives Act at the German Ministry of Internal Affairs, the working group “Storage of Explosives” at the German Ministry of Occupational Safety, the German Society for Defence Technology, the US “National Defence Industrial Association” and the “International Pyrotechnic Society”, of which he was a founding member.

He applied his expertise as a publicly appointed and sworn valuer for pyrotechnics, as a technical spokesman of the German Association of Pyrotechnic Industries (VPI) and as a Technical Consultant of Glorious Fireworks Ltd. China. His latest activities beyond his retirement related to the implementation of a quality assurance and occupational safety system in the Chinese fireworks industry.

Another important desire of Uwe Krone was to pass on and expand on pyrotechnical knowledge. As the head of laboratory he supervised the qualification of seven chemical laboratory assistants. In addition he was an advisor at the German “Berufsgenossenschaft” of the chemical industry, and the scientific head of pyrotechnic seminars at the Carl-Cranz-Society (CCG). Together with Ronald Lancaster he is the author of the chapter “Pyrotechnics” in Ullmann‘s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry 6[ ].

The whole explosive community will miss his inspiration and advice. Many have lost a good friend.

Dirk Cegiel

U. Krone, M. Koop, Entwicklung und Wirkungsweise eines Pyrotechnischen Düüngeaerosolgenerators, in: Aerosoldüngung geschädigter Vegetation Teil I, Report, 1988, Nico-Pyrotechnik, Hanns-Jürgen Diederichs GmbH & Co. KG, Trittau, Germany.

C. M. Jenden, NATO Smoke and Obscurants Countermeasures Materials Evaluation Tests (SOCMET), AGARD Conference Proceedings: Atmospheric Propagation Effects through Natural and Man-Made Obscurants for Visible to MM-Wave Radiation, Report No. ADA276919, Ministry of Defence and Pyrotechnics, 1993.

Smoke and Obscurants Countermeasures Evaluation Tests, Defence Research Agency (DRA), Fort Halstead, GB, 1995.

U. Krone, Strahlungsemission in Intervallen -- Oszillierende Verbrennung pyrotechnischer Sätze, Jahrestagung ICT, Karlsruhe, Germany, Juni 11--13, 1975, p. 225.

D. Cegiel, U. Krone, Pyrotechnic Igniter Compositions in Disperse Phase -- Production and Application, Airbag 2000+ 5th International Symposium and Exhibition on Sophisticated Car Occupant Safety Systems, Karlsruhe, Germany, December 4--6, 2000, p. 34.

U. Krone, R. Lancaster, Pyrotechnics, in: B. Elvers, S. Hawkins, W. Russey, G. Schulz, (Eds.), Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Volume A22, 5th edition, VCH, Weinheim 1993, p. 437

Dirk Cegiel, Rheinmetall Defence, Trittan, Germany

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Еxchange of books/journals.

I have 1) Pyrotechnic Chemistry, http://www.fireworksnews.com/Item/B36, 2) Selected Pyro Publications of Dr. Shimizu Parts 1-4, http://www.fireworksnews.com/Item/SHIM1-4, 3) Pyrotechnica 1 - 17, from 1977 to 1997, http://www.pyrobin.com/files/Pyrotechnica%20index%20new.pdf

I would like to have: 1) Fireworks from a Physical Standpoint, Part I-IV, Takeo Shimizu, and/or 2) some numbers/articles of "Journal of Pyrotechnics" http://www.jpyro2.com/

Write me in Messenger.

Edited by Yus

Who has "The PGI Anthology - Volume I", please, present content of this book? Thank you.

I am planning to buy PGI Anthology - Volume I and II. Are they good books from scientific and/or practical point of view? Any opinions?

I don't have vol II, but most things I've seen in the bulletin over the years are more from a practical standpoint. I really like Vol I, and have no doubt Vol II is just as good. Maybe someone else will chime in who has both, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How good is this book?

"THE BEST OF FIREMAKER by Larry Homan : A total of 21 issues, each between 48 and 64 pages in length, were produced. We found these deep in the archives and then whittled down the contents to 240 pages of "The Best of The Firemaker"."

MLaGEOp.jpg