APC Forum

good books?

longbeard

Thanks for all the info. I'll be doing a lot if research over the next few no. And be asking some questions.

I'm off to spend some money on books.

It's the BEST money you can spend learning this hobby. I recommend to all new or relatively-new pyros that the FIRST thing they should invest in is a good library.

I can't recommend highly enough Shimizu, Lancaster, and ALL of the Pyrotechnica series including Shimizu's monographs. Then, with more experience under your belt, Weingart, Hardt, Shidlovskiy, and others.

Even a complete pyro library won't cost you more than fully-stocking your shelves just once with chemicals, so it's a really good start.

Lloyd

If reading gives you the knowledge and wisdom to be safe then it's definitely worth the money, Where you don't learn the science of manufacture, you may learn the art of display.

• 1 month later...

Anybody know where I can buy pyro books in Europe?

Journals "PYROTECHNICA: OCCASIONAL PAPERS IN PYROTECHNICS" are difficult to find.

Can anyone sell copies or photocopies of these journals (from Europe)?

Thank you.

Yus,

If someone supplied photocopies of Pyrotechnica, they would be committing theft by way of copyright violation. Those papers are still under active copyright.

They are currently published by Prometheus Publications, and I believe Warren will happily ship to Europe. Please check their site at: https://www.abebooks.com/prometheus-publications-phoenix-az-u.s.a/5764/sf

We are a small industry. Writers and publishers of books make little money. Please don't steal what little they make!

LLoyd

PS....AHAH! They were recently acquired by Amazon, and have an 'outlet' in Germany. Now you have NO excuse to not purchase them!

Edited by lloyd
  • Like 1

Anybody know where I can buy pyro books in Europe?

Journals "PYROTECHNICA: OCCASIONAL PAPERS IN PYROTECHNICS" are difficult to find.

Can anyone sell copies or photocopies of these journals (from Europe)?

Thank you.

Ned Gorski (who runs fireworking.com) has digital copies of Pyrotechnica 9 and 11 (and perhaps others), I know at one point he was helping people get the information, maybe hes worth an email.

He also has the hard copies for sale, if thats your cup of tea :)

Edited by Maserface
  • Like 1

I bought Shimizu's "Fireworks From A Physical Standpoint" just for the joy of owning the books and thought after a quick perusal they'd be over my head since my math skills leave much to be desired. Since I've been reading them I've found that although the math is still way over my head Dr. Shimizu's explanations make it very easy to understand.

Over 40 pyro books and still looking!

I don't know how many know of this archived site but it's interesting as well:

http://frozenhaxor.pl/pyroguide/index.htm

Edited by OldMarine

PS....AHAH! They were recently acquired by Amazon, and have an 'outlet' in Germany. Now you have NO excuse to not purchase them!

I've just had a look on amazon.co.uk. They currently list only two volumes, 4 & 6, with both marked as 'currently unavailable'.

Amazon.de lists volumes 4, 5, 6 and 7 as 'Derzeit nicht verfügbar' which means ... yes, you guessed it!

Amazon.it lists volumes 5 and 6, marked as 'Non disponibile'.

Amazon.fr shows only a generic title which might be the correct item, but with no volume information. It is marked 'Actuellement indisponible'.

Amazon.com fares better, listing volumes 2, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15. But, guess what, they are all 'currently unavailable'.

If I didn't already have copies, I'd be scratching my head about where to try next in Europe.

Copies are illegal. I known. Is it possible to have them, but sign special copyright agreement (somehow, somewhere)?

Edited by Yus

So far, I haven't found any current source. AbeBooks, at the website given by Lloyd, doesn't list them. All I've been able to find, on an old (2014) thread in the Pyrotechnics section is a possible email address: prometheus.publications@cox.net but it was a few years old even then. You could try sending an email and see if you get a response.

That e-mail address is for Warren Klofkorn, the proprietor of Prometheus Publications. He'd be a worthy person to contact. I'm sure he can be contacted somehow through AbeBooks too. The other person to contact would be the publisher, Robert Cardwell. I don't have contact details off hand for him however.

Thanks Mumbles, I'm sure Yus - and anyone else looking for Pyrotechnica - will find that very helpful.

I've managed to find a 2005 Prometheus Publications price list, which gives the price of the full set as $269, which is a $30 discount on buying them individually. It's likely that postage may be extra, and I don't know if the price will have changed in the intervening period, but I doubt you will find them cheaper anywhere else - assuming you can find another source.

• 2 weeks later...

If someone from Europe decided to sell Pyrotechnica Magazines /especially numbers with Shimizu articles/ please send me a message! I would like to buy them. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Who have "Fireworks From A Physical Standpoint", what is a content of these four books? Are they different from FAST (Shimizu)?

Could anybody tell me, what is the content of "Fireworks From A Physical Standpoint". Thank you.

Part I :

Chapter 1 - Introduction

" 2 - The Fundemental Principle of the Burning of Fireworks (28 pages)

" 3 - Burning Velocity (6 pages)

" 4 - The Principle of Intensity and Duration (5 pages)

" 5 - Planning the Shape and Production of Fireworks (16 pages)

" 6 - Black Powder (5 pages)

Part II :

" 7 - The Flame as a Light Source (40 pages)

" 8 - Sparks as a Light Source (18 pages)

" 9 - Intermittent or Vibrational Burning Chemical Compositions (5

pages)

" 10 - Smoke (21 pages)

Part III :

" 11 - The Theory of Motion of the night Chysanthemum Shell (24 pages)

" 12 - Ballistics of Fireworks Shells (20 pages)

" 13 - The Sensitivity of Fireworks Compositions (3 pages)

" 14 - Principles for Preventing Accidents (2 pages)

" 15 - Planning the Beauty of the Fireworks Flowers (16 pages)

Part IV : (appendices)

Appendix 1 - The Properties of Fuels (1 page)

" 2 - Equations and Tables for Designing the Shape of Items with

constant Innerburning Surfaces (7 pages)

" 3 - Equations and Tables for Designing Rocket motors (4 pages)

" 4 - Ballistic Functions for the Chrysanthemum (2 pages)

" 5 - Sensitivity Ratings for the Various Chemical Compositions from

the results of Sensitivity Tests (20 pages) >>>This section contains

an AMAZING amount of hard info. HUNDREDS of tests!<<<

" 6 - The Rection Tendancies of Two Substances when Exposed to

Moisture (2 pages)

" 7 - The Buring Velocity of Black Powder in Air (1 page)

ADDENDUM - Musical Symbol Notation (section 15.2, 5 pages)

LITERATURE (2 pages)

INDEX

Thank you for the information in this thread; it's very helpful for a newbie. I have PGI Vol. I and F.A.S.T. on the way!