APC Forum

Parlon Bound Stars

Sparx88

Ok I have tried a few things over the last year to try and figure out how anyone has enough mood control when working with acetone/parlon..what a sticky mess. I did also read about using methanol or mek to slow it down but don't have those yet. What is the prefered way. I just read a tek on well basically form the cake to size on a ceramic like non-stick surface and let the cake dry for a day then peel it off trying not to tear it up and cut the stars with a pair of scissors.. Is that advisable before I begin? Because trying to even touch this stuff while wet is crazy let alone having nice uniform stars as a result. I'm working on a matrix comet idea thats why I'm asking otherwise I would'nt bother :) So, dry,peel, snip?

I roll the comp into a patty however thick I want the stars in between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Leaving the comp on the wax paper, I cut it into cubes and place on a drying screen. It is a little sticky, I dampen the comp and allow it to dry until it has a similar consistency to modeling clay. This does not take long when using acetone. I would not cut stars or any pyrotechnic material with scissors to avoid any friction between the comp and each blade.

Thats about what I had in mind. I guess trying to sub some chems don't lend well to decent returns. It's the red gum, I really need to get some the first chance I have the money. For the most part subbing sulfur for red gum works out ok for dextrin bound, but not so much with parlon/acetone. The way Harry is able to pick up and nead that dough tells me that the red gum is a big factor. Because If I even break the skin on the patty it will stick like over wet pizza dough. And letting it dry forms a skin that gets harder and thicker and it still sticks like glue as soon as I even try to roll it around, the center is still like glue.

I'm going to try what you guys said here again but with the red gum. Seems it's one of those must haves. Thank you for the help.

edit...after re-reading this I realized that I may have nailed the reason for the parlon blues season..over wet pizza dough...I'm over wetting with the acetone. 50 grams for an 8oz patty is what Harry has going on. I was adding close to 20 grams to a 100 gram batch. And the red gum. Ok, so now it's, less wet, get red gum. Got it. Thank you! lol

Edited by Sparx88

Get red gum. Try using lacquer thinner instead of acetone. I think it makes a big difference. Seems to dry a bit slower and makes the comp and bit more workable, and less crumbly like acetone does. Wet it in a ziplock, lay it out, work up your patty, and cut with some kind of straight edged tool. If it gets dry, just spritz on some more solvent as necessary. Oh and wear some latex gloves... no brainier.

Ok I will, that sounds good, I did a lot of painting in the sign buisness and am "unfortunately" very familiar with lacquer thinner. Thank you.