APC Forum

Why isn't my black powder good (it doesn't burn fast)

gun410

I made BP and It burns slow I used 75/15/10 kno3/charcoal/sulfur I don't know why it burns slow i compared it to triple seven FFG. Thank in advance

That's probably a good thing for your safety considering the level of research you are failing to invest.

I'm not spoon feeding any more as this is a stupidly basic question you can research yourself!

How about you do the research and tell us why it is slow?

• Like 2

What process did you use to make the BP ?

gun410

explain in detail how you processed your method..?

did you milled it?

What process did you use to make the BP ?

I used the m&p

the ingredients are probably expired ;)

I just got them at hobby chem supply

Check out the "pyrogiude pyrosource YouTube channel" as there is a video tutorial on making black powder.

Make sure you use a safe mill.

bob

Edited by bob

Check out the "pyrogiude pyrosource YouTube channel" as there is a video tutorial on making black powder.

Make sure you use a safe mill.

bob

i dont have a mill so i use a mortar and pestle

If the question is:

Then you just answered your self.

i dont have a mill so i use a mortar and pestle

To make good fast reliable BP you really need a mill. There ARE other ways, but mortar and pestle really isn't the ideal way to go about it.

B!

Edited by MrB

You do know that 75:15:10 is by mass, right?

Keep grinding away with your mortar and pestle. After a few hours you should have something passable.

If the question is:

Then you just answered your self.

To make good fast reliable BP you really need a mill. There ARE other ways, but mortar and pestle really isn't the ideal way to go about it.

B!

Thanks will screen mixing work better than using a mortar and pestle.Also the way I made it was I mixed the chemicals together and used a M&P should I wet it or something.

You should screen the chemicals together first and then grind them in the mortar and pestle. It is possible to get quick BP this way but it is a LOT of hard work for a very small amount of powder. You should look at either building your own ball mill or using a hobby tumbler.

Did you dried bp well ??

it is a sign of moisture containt in a bp.

In didn't granulate it so it never got wet

You need a mill. You are not going to make good BP without one. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but it's the truth.

You need a mill. You are not going to make good BP without one. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but it's the truth.

Ya I got one now I need ball media

Did you dried bp well ??

it is a sign of moisture containt in a bp.

Actually it's more like excess nitrate (and who knows how many byproducts of combustion) that isn't being burnt up. That's half the reason you mill bp, the hand mixed version doesn't burn cleanly and leaves lots of slag. This is good for prime on stars, but it's usually not hot enough burning to reliably light most colored stars.

Edited by psyco_1322
  • Like 1

You do know that 75:15:10 is by mass, right?

Keep grinding away with your mortar and pestle. After a few hours you should have something passable.

What do you mean mass

What do you mean mass

By weight, using a scale to weigh the chemicals. Nothing will work right if you try to do it by volume.

By weight, using a scale to weigh the chemicals. Nothing will work right if you try to do it by volume.

Ya thanks I weigh them by grams