APC Forum

couple more july 4th videos

Sparx88

this one is a 2" but using the same modded hardt blue #6. They were 1/4" pumped stars broke with meal coated grass seed 4-1 no booster with 4 layers pasting 35# kraft. Can see the blue better in this one than the other post with the 3".

http://youtu.be/xhr6Ej12D9w

then this was the last of the colored shells. A 3" with both hardt green #5 and ruby red 1/2" pumped stars broke with meal coated grass seed 4-1 no booster 6 layers 35# kraft pasting. Not very dense but I wanted a big long break so I used less but bigger stars. They were a tad over 1/2" with prime. It was fun anyway :)

http://youtu.be/kvmsPQkzq24

Edited by Sparx88

No, ruby red. That comp has been around for quite awile. It's called Ruby Red. I can't post the recipe but it will come up on a google search.

be safe

Here is the formula for Ruby Red. It is a very fast burning comp due to the Strontium Nitrate.

Strontium Nitrate...............50

Potassium perchlorate.........8

Parlon..............................18

Magnalium (-325 mesh).....12

Charcoal (airfloat)...............5

Sulfur................................5

Red Gum...........................2

Dextrin..............................5

I recommend Buell Red instead as it's cheaper, easier to work with, and is a deeper red with a better burn rate:

Buell Red:

Potassium Perchlorate 35.4

Strontium Carbonate 25.3

Magnalium, 200-mesh 14.1

Parlon 13.1

Red Gum 7.1

Dextrin 5

Also, the Strontium Carbonate is interchangable with Barium Carbonate. I've heard you can use Copper Carbonate to make a Buell Blue, but personally I've never tried it as there are many blue formulas that have different results.

For the Ruby Red, another problem could arouse with the Nitrate-Al reaction. I know it doesn't usually happen with MgAl, but for beginners like gun410, you might want to use the Buell Red to get a feel for making colored stars. Then as you progress you can use different types of formulas where you are aware of the precautions that could possibly be needed (using linseed oil or Potassium Dichromate in the case of Ruby Red).

Also, I think this is a valid reminder for you gun410, when you get your mill, don't mill any comp (like this one) besides Black Powder.

Edited by LambentPyro