APC Forum

What happens if u don't use dextrin in your black match

gun410

This is my black match without dextrin I'm wondering if it is because im not using dextrin please reply

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi mate,

The dextrin, once dry hardens the black powder. This 'sticks' to the string. Dextrin or any binder is integral to any match. I have heard starch works, I mention this because it is more commonly available. Otherwise you can use, gum arabic (I find it makes the match a bit slower and affects QM in my PERSONAL experience)

Anyway I daresay you just want to get a basic fuse cranking. Do some research, make your own dextrin if you want. Should have some corn starch in your pantry. That should be fine for BM.

-Jess

Gun,

I think we all would like you to use conversation English please and to post the video to VIMO, YouTube or another place where watching it won't expose us to a possible virus attached to a file.

As far as your video goes, it looks like the potassium Nitrate didn't find it's way through the whole string causing it to smoulder and no keep fire. When making black match to use as a fuse, you need a lot of comp on the outside of the string, the stuff that is on the inside only smoulders, only the outside coating carries fire like a fuse.

Dextrin is a glue of sorts, it holds the slurry in suspension, allows it to stick together and to the thread and allows for far harder sticks of black match. 3-5% is more than enough and the use of CMC (1%) will give it flexibility as well.

Gun,

I think we all would like you to use conversation English please and to post the video to VIMO, YouTube or another place where watching it won't expose us to a possible virus attached to a file.

As far as your video goes, it looks like the potassium Nitrate didn't find it's way through the whole string causing it to smoulder and no keep fire. When making black match to use as a fuse, you need a lot of comp on the outside of the string, the stuff that is on the inside only smoulders, only the outside coating carries fire like a fuse.

Dextrin is a glue of sorts, it holds the slurry in suspension, allows it to stick together and to the thread and allows for far harder sticks of black match. 3-5% is more than enough and the use of CMC (1%) will give it flexibility as well.

Thanks i have 2 questions first where can you get CMC and 2 is cmc required. For my Black match I didn't use dextrin do I think that's why it sucked

No CMC is not required, but if you are using Dextrin it will help you with getting a match witch is somewhat flexible. Pure dextrine match is quite prone to chip of the comp.

Be aware of the fact that the binder for black match is always a reason for discussion among people.

I recomend gum arabic, as it tends to give the best match with can handle quite a lot of abuse

No CMC is not required, but if you are using Dextrin it will help you with getting a match witch is somewhat flexible. Pure dextrine match is quite prone to chip of the comp.

Be aware of the fact that the binder for black match is always a reason for discussion among people.

I recomend gum arabic, as it tends to give the best match with can handle quite a lot of abuse

LOL! And I think CMC makes the best black match. Many ways to filet ole Tom...

The lack of dextrin is not the issue with the blackmatch video you posted. It's one of two things.

1. The blackmatch actually isn't dry yet.

2. You used shitty black powder.

Blackmatch without a binder will be prone to chipping and flaking and not handle abuse very well, but it generally functions the same.

As for your other quesion, CMC stands for CarboxyMethylCellulose. Many places sell it. Occasionally you can find it locally as a wall paper paste. Please don't take that to mean that all wall paper paste is CMC though.

CarboxyMethylCellulose, around here also known as food additive E466, and used in everything from ice-cream to French fries, and cheese. The things we learn when we are bored. It seams "child friendly" wall paper glues are made of this stuff around here. Guess it's so the kids can eat it, when they get sent to their rooms without supper... Anyways, thanks, i'm getting some, for when i get desperate enough to try and make my own black match.

B!

• Like 1

The lack of dextrin is not the issue with the blackmatch video you posted. It's one of two things.

1. The blackmatch actually isn't dry yet.

2. You used shitty black powder.

Blackmatch without a binder will be prone to chipping and flaking and not handle abuse very well, but it generally functions the same.

As for your other quesion, CMC stands for CarboxyMethylCellulose. Many places sell it. Occasionally you can find it locally as a wall paper paste. Please don't take that to mean that all wall paper paste is CMC though.

I used powder from a hunting store and It dried for 1 week any other problems besides that I didn't use dextrin

Yeah maybe have a look at both threads this and the proper bm thread. You will find a couple answers or just use the search function

Wall paper glue... Go look in your local hardware store.

B!

Can you send me a link of the wall paper glue

I used powder from a hunting store and It dried for 1 week any other problems besides that I didn't use dextrin

If you're confident the black match is dry, and you used ACTUAL black powder from a hunting store (not a BP substitute), then the problem is clearly you.

• Like 1

If you're confident the black match is dry, and you used ACTUAL black powder from a hunting store (not a BP substitute), then the problem is clearly you.

Thank reminds me I think it might of been a bp subitute and I was sulphur free

Yes, that is a BP substitute, NOT actual BP.

One thing we have not addressed yet is that the BP needs to be very fine, MUCH finer than what you can buy commercially to get it to soak into the yarn/thread for black match. A word of warning: dont use bare black match for fusing a cracker of any type ever. I have had black match spit and light the whole length all at once. I was just testing it but the instant burn startled me greatly.

One thing we have not addressed yet is that the BP needs to be very fine, MUCH finer than what you can buy commercially to get it to soak into the yarn/thread for black match. A word of warning: dont use bare black match for fusing a cracker of any type ever. I have had black match spit and light the whole length all at once. I was just testing it but the instant burn startled me greatly.

Ok thanks for the safety tip can I use if for a star mine and/or a 1 inch mortar shell

And to get it fine can I use a mortar and pestle

That's not entirely true Dag. Meal D, or the equivalent sporting powder, works just fine for making match.