APC Forum

How are my 3" s progressing?

psypuls

Hello fellow pyrotechnicians.

I just started with 3" shells and have made a few so far

any pointers are greatly appreciated,

something that I thought about was switching from MCRH to KP rice hulls, should I do that? And in that case how do I make KP on rice hulls?

Edited by psypuls

Nice shells my friend. can you give use a few specs. round or canister I think there round by the video. you said you had mcrh but what ratio did you use 5/1 or 7/1 and did you use a booster and if so what kind and how much. if they are round shells it looks like the stars need to be packed in abit tighter just so you can get that perfect break. your breaks were good size and it was very well done. im just saying if you can get the stars to lock in abit it will pay off. Im not trying to be negative im just trying to point out what could be improved. But very nice shells none the less. good luck and have fun cant wait to see more shells from you -LBK-

Really like your work mate... Would also like to know all the nitty gritties of your construction.

-Jess

Great shells !! I really like the second one with the glitter / spark tails, what formula was it ?

at this point if you want to change things, maybe change up star size 3" use the small sizes to fit more in, screen them for all the same size, pack as many in as possible, separate the stars from burst with tissue paper, make sure fire is originating in the center of the shell, try different shell casings, paper is great, you can even paper Mache them. number of pasting layers, more = harder break. I'm just getting going as well, so other may have better input, but those are the things that I work on and pay attention to.

They looked great so not much tweaking !! ( I like the "testing" of shells that way you can launch more often ;) "

Matt

Nice shells my friend. can you give use a few specs. round or canister I think there round by the video. you said you had mcrh but what ratio did you use 5/1 or 7/1 and did you use a booster and if so what kind and how much. if they are round shells it looks like the stars need to be packed in abit tighter just so you can get that perfect break. your breaks were good size and it was very well done. im just saying if you can get the stars to lock in abit it will pay off. Im not trying to be negative im just trying to point out what could be improved. But very nice shells none the less. good luck and have fun cant wait to see more shells from you -LBK-

Shells were Round, MCRH 6:1 +7g whistle, Thank you for a great response, I think that I will try cutting my pumped 8mm stars in half to make them smaller.

Looks good. Are those plastic hemis by chance?

Thank you, they are paper ball shells.

Really like your work mate... Would also like to know all the nitty gritties of your construction.

-Jess

So nice feedback,

I used 48 pieces of gummed tape, maybe that equals to 12 layers? I am not sure.

I use a 2.5cm time fuse, with gummed tape wrapped around the other end acting as a spolette, and 5 pieces of fastfuse inside of it

Those are nice shells but what kind of of stars are those and what are the compositions

Everyone said the shells were nice, i'm so surprised. Thanks! Most of the colors are Veline based, for example Chartreuse, then there are Buell Greens and also the spark stars in the other clip are Nishiki kamuro 25% Ti based slow gold star (reduced 5% charcoal)

Great shells !! I really like the second one with the glitter / spark tails, what formula was it ?

at this point if you want to change things, maybe change up star size 3" use the small sizes to fit more in, screen them for all the same size, pack as many in as possible, separate the stars from burst with tissue paper, make sure fire is originating in the center of the shell, try different shell casings, paper is great, you can even paper Mache them. number of pasting layers, more = harder break. I'm just getting going as well, so other may have better input, but those are the things that I work on and pay attention to.

They looked great so not much tweaking !! ( I like the "testing" of shells that way you can launch more often ;) "

Matt

Woahh! everyone is giving me the most positive feedback, I thought My shells were far from dialed in.

The second video's star comp is called Nishiki Kamuro Brocade Willow i'm sure you have heard of it, must be hard to make a shell Not beautiful with this one hehe.

About the star size. Yeah im thinking of making the 8mm pumped stars cut in half so it becomes 4mm, I also wanna increase my whistle booster from 7 to 10g, (its a tad slow because I use several grams of vaseline in a 50g whistle mix batch, to be on the safer side)

Testing shells sure is a good reason for firing them :)

Thanks a lot guys, its like drinking from a wellspring ;) to hear you.

Woahh! everyone is giving me the most positive feedback, I thought My shells were far from dialed in.

There is hardly ever a worse critic then your self. Thats just how it is.

I suspect the reason Jakenbake asked if you were using plastic hemies were since there seams to be a small irregularity in the shells causing some of them to look like they needed a bit more reinforcement along the mid-section. Classic with plastic hemispheres. They do look great, and generally, they only get better as you tweak, and dial stuff in.

Now, onwards to trying to be helpful:

I'm not sure you need a stronger break, but figuring out what you can do to make the pasting more uniform, and strengthen the shell casing a tiny bit might be a way to go.

Cant wait to see the next test. Good luck!

B!