APC Forum

Pumping Winokur 39

dangerousamateur

I have big problems pumping these, especially the 39j with the magnalium in them.

I didnt want to over wet them so i put in +8% water-ethanol mix. (4 to 1 mix).

When they come out of the syringe, they allways break apart and i end up with half stars or third stars.

I use normal dextrine, and I think the dextrine is fine. The trouble is always when stars contain to much charcoal.

Should i use more water?

They are better pressed mate, bit of pressure goes a long way. I use 4% water. No ethanol! They are consistent rock hard.

Edited by jessoman

Pressing would be perfect, but i only have syringes for stars.

I will get a starplate sometime, but for now it must be done without.

Nothing that a brass hose fitting and some solid al/brass/wood (you get the drift) tube which fits can't fix ;)

I have a wood one which is years old with an old brass garden connection. Still goes strong. That particular comp won't cut it without pressure.

That particular comp won't cut it without pressure.

Can you suggest some other glitter that will?

Some ith a similar long delay effect?

N1 is pretty slow? Still has higher charcoal content but no antimony?

You can't get any dowel that fits anything? Would be easier to find something in the hardware store for like $5 then to waste the batch of comp?

I really recommend rigging up a cheap star pump for this. I regularly pump glitters with low water using a PVC tube and an oak dowel with an [electrical tape] gasket. The compression I achieve on them is obviously minimal but a few raps with a piece of 1x4 is enough. No degradation of the glitter effect occurs, and the stars dry rock hard.

Silly question but what is your binder? Are you letting the whetted comp resy for an hour before pressing? How big are your stars/comets?

• Like 1

Silly question but what is your binder?

Dextrine

Are you letting the whetted comp resy for an hour before pressing?

No. Should i?

How big are your stars/comets?

1/2 inch.

You are right, I could make or buy a real star pump, put I'd like to have stars that can be pumped without ramming every singe one.

Try using just water and no alcohol. Too much alcohol can prevent the dextrin from doing its job. I also have a hard time imagining that a syringe can pump suitable stars. Have you tried cutting stars?

• Like 1

I would be tempted to suggest using a bit of PVC tubing and a wooden dowel. The workload should be the same as for the syringe, but the sturdier equipment would let you compact it against your work surface after filling the tube. Pumping stars really needs you to "lay in to them" so to speak, and while i never tried this composition, it would seam this is where things go wrong. I think the suggested amount of water for this composition is 6%, but thats just something i read, since again, i haven't used this comp...

B!

Dextrine

No. Should i?

1/2 inch.

You are right, I could make or buy a real star pump, put I'd like to have stars that can be pumped without ramming every singe one.

Danger, PM me please, I might have something for you.

I would guess there are a couple of things going on here that are all somewhat related to one another. There is an interplay between pressure and amount of water. The more pressure you can apply, the less water you really need. I'd also suggest losing the alcohol as has already been suggested to let the dextrin do it's complete job. A press is nice, though 1/2" is small enough to probably be done with body weight. This will be affected by using syringes instead of even pipe and dowels since they can't really hold up to the pressure.

If you insist on using syringes as your pump, you'll have to get the composition wetter. Just wet them, and pump a couple. If they still aren't coming out right, add more water. If you want to just to hand pressure to consolidate them, they'll have to be pretty wet.

Letting the water settle into the composition does help in getting them to consolidate in my experience. Even wetting will give better stars. I generally press the composition into the bottom of the bucket I'm wetting the composition in, and let it rest for 30-60 minutes. The composition is then broken up through a screen and pressed.

A faster way to make comets like these with a pump is to use something like an arbor press. The actual time spent pressing is very minimal, and gives very consistent results.