APC Forum

Storing Pyro Chemicals

LiamPyro

I have always stored my pyro chemicals in the bags they came in, inside of a large ziplock bag labeled accordingly. I have decided to stop using this method since it is messy and inconvenient to access, and instead would like to store my chemicals in screw lid containers. I checked online with minimal success and was wondering if any of you guys have recommendations for bottle material, type, and most importantly where I can find them. Thanks!

Looks very good!!! The only problem is I have a pound or less of each of my chemicals, and the smallest sized bucket those lids are made for is 3.5 gallons, which is way to large.

The disposable zip lock containers at the grocery store ( or any brand Glad etc) they are not screw top, but seal and hold quite well. They stack and are sturdy. I don't use them for everything, but for most stuff that needs to be repackaged, and put a silica gel pack in for humidity.

Matt

Looks very good!!! The only problem is I have a pound or less of each of my chemicals, and the smallest sized bucket those lids are made for is 3.5 gallons, which is way to large.

Don't think it helps you much but they make the lids for 2 gallon pails.

I get all the plastic containers needed from a hardware store after they dump the screws from them. Also, planters peanut containers and Jif peanut butter containers are my favorites for storing small batches of chems and stars.

• Like 1

The disposable zip lock containers at the grocery store ( or any brand Glad etc) they are not screw top, but seal and hold quite well.

Matt

That would be very cost effective, but I don't think they are very airtight. The silica gel pack is a great idea though!! Do you buy them or get them from packaged food?

Those containers look awesome! Would you have any idea what size I would need, for say a pound of air float charcoal?

I would recommend you to get the .5 gal and the 1 gal size, if you're really into the hobby you'll find yourself owning a little bit more than a pound of airfloat charcoal or any other chemical, for that reason I would get a decent sized container, :)

Gamma Seal lids and 5 gallon buckets.

Hey... I've been eyeballing something similar in a petstore. The bucket and lid comes as a unit, and is a LOT more expensive. (It's by no means identical, it's just a similar concept) Would anyone know where to get these in the EU?

B!

The idea for smaller amounts of chems is to leave them in their bags and put same kinds (oxidizers with oxidizers etc.) and put them in the bucket for storage. I use NALGENE bottles for storing chems I will be using immediately but never for finished comps. The bottles are pretty cheap at the Container Store and on eBay.

Would anyone know where to get these in the EU?

Turns out i can find em on eBay, from UK. With shipping they are about 33 bucks each. I can also find em from a seller shipping 6 gallon buckets, with gamma seal lids, for about 220bucks in total.

Not sure why i would ever need 10 buckets, but 5-6, easy. Say 6, and i'm just 1 short of getting the last 3 for free. I think i'll grab a 10'pack, bucket sand all. Thank you for the tip.

B!

My mums a nurse and she gets me STERILE urine sample containes, they can hold upto 80 grams of solids or liquids

I usally keep small samples in the containers and I keep the rest of chemicals in separate large containers or zip lock bags.

Edited by Milyan720
  • Like 1

The idea for smaller amounts of chems is to leave them in their bags and put same kinds (oxidizers with oxidizers etc.) and put them in the bucket for storage.

Yes, it's a very good idea not to store metals with oxidizers... and don't even put incompatible chemicals anywhere near each other.

(It's also a good idea to separate household chemicals the same way. For instance, keep your bleach near your laundry, but keep your ammonia somewhere else entirely.)

Sh** happens. Most areas of the US are prone to some level of earthquakes, even here in Oregon where we have one MASSIVE quake about every 237 years (and the last one happened 314 years ago), with a few lesser quakes in between. Even a small earthquake could spell disaster if incompatible chemicals spilled into mixed piles. Who wants to sweep up mixed sulfur and chlorate on a rainy day?

Another consideration is fire extinguishing. For instance, you never want to store Magnesium with other chemicals that are doused with water, because water only feeds Magnesium fires.

So chemicals that must be smothered should be stored completely separately from chemicals that can be doused with water -- which probably means that chemicals like Magnesium should not be stored anywhere in your home. You definitely don't want to be telling the fire crews that your house fire must be put out with piles of sand instead of water!

;-D

-- Paravani

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'm going to get some nice HDPE bottles for storage and maybe build a box/rack for housing them.

The idea of storing chemicals in separated groups is a great idea that I never thought of!

Since the subject of storage containers is being discussed here, does anyone have any pros or cons on using PETE (Polyethylene terephthalate) containers to store unmixed chems?

I've started using left over bottles from gummy vitamins (we buy big bottles of vitamins) and other plastic household bottles. Obviously not anything that has held bleach or other reactive substances. I wonder if I should be paying attention to what kind of plastic they are made from.

Well pvc is know for creating static problems. Also food containers shouldn't be used for chemicals, for obvious reasons.

I'm actually using food containers. I was good at sticking huge labels on them specifying what was in them, but over time i got sloppy. "Most" tings are still in a bag, in side the container, and the bag is labeled.

To make things even worse... Said food containers are actually food supplements or meal replacement powders, so someone opening a container with powder might not be instantly notified that it's not what should be in the container. Hey, at least i don't use the stuff my self. No risk I'll end up getting things wrong. And there isn't anyone else around. It's still bad practice, i agree.

B!

Edited by MrB

I'd be interested in you sharing these "obvious reasons". As long as they're only used for chemicals/pyro in the future, I don't see any issues.

A lot of the stuff we use isn't really viable as food, might even be downright unsuitable for human digestion. Something like KNO3 in a food supplement canister looks like a harmless white powder, but KNO3 isn't very good for you if you happen to eat it. Storing it in food canisters might very well mean that you contaminate your food with what ever was stored in the canister at one point, down the road. Or rather more likely, that someone else re-purposes your "empty" canister for food storage.

I sort of agree. It is bad practice to use food containers, be it refrigerator storage, or as i do, shake powder and supplement canisters. It's not something that should make your stuff go bad or anything, it just increases the risk of hapless by-passers getting in to your stuff, and getting them self in to trouble. Labeling helps, i should work on my habits in that area...

B!