APC Forum

Idea for a shell insert.

Adamdragon6

After returning from a very exciting week of shows i was lighting off a few of my consumer fireworks and had an idea. I have these little legend strobe and crackling fireworks. They are about the size and shape of a firecracker with a gold wrapper around a firecracker tube. As the name implies they strobe for a short while and then burst apart into crackles. My idea was to use them in the future as inserts in some homemade shells. I don't want to disassemble them or anything like that, just use them as an interesting extra effect in a shell. I have yet to build a shell and plan to do several smaller and simpler projects before working on anything of this magnitude. I'm just wondering if this is even possible or prudent? The place I've found that sells them has a very quick turnover and constant rotation of stock so I'm just trying to plan ahead. I figure the best way to do it would be to wrap the visco with some tape and prime the end of it to act as a sort of time fuse. Any advice or warnings from the more experienced guys would be much appreciated. :)

I don't see why that wouldn't work. You just need to light one on the ground and see how long they burn for. I would imagine much over about 3 seconds for a typical 3" shell will still be burning when they hit the ground. Burning fallout can be dangerous due to the fires it can start or bodily harm it may inflict.
  • Like 1

Check your fuse timing and prime them.

I found a video. It could be a cool effect. I've seen shells just packed with normal firecrackers, which is an interesting effect. The timing on the effect here is probably kind of long for a 3" shell at what looks like around 7 seconds. You'll want to time some of your own of course. There is probably a way to make them work, but they may require bigger shells or extra high lift to do it safely. Maybe a mine?

They wont really require much modification. To make them work as inserts they probably can't be used out of the box. You'd probably need to cut the fuse short, and then apply a prime to ensure they take fire. This would make the effect start soon after the shell breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxFhJZzczA

Those are kind of cool! PGI has the (sp?) Sue Berry shells for women and men, a 5" plastic shell packed full of class-c stuff. I would like to see a shell full of these. Would anybody have a part number and a dealer for these handy?

Edited by dagabu

Thanks for the help guys! Mumbles I figured that was about how it'd be done with the clipping and priming. And I'd heard about people putting firecrackers in shells so if these work out I might just try mixing a few in and see how the two work together. Dagabu i get mine from a lady operating out of her garage with 3 packs of 6 going for a dollar. I see you are located up north so PM me if you want the exact location.

Thanks for the help guys! Mumbles I figured that was about how it'd be done with the clipping and priming. And I'd heard about people putting firecrackers in shells so if these work out I might just try mixing a few in and see how the two work together. Dagabu i get mine from a lady operating out of her garage with 3 packs of 6 going for a dollar. I see you are located up north so PM me if you want the exact location.

Thanks for the info. Can you just shoot a picture of the pack for me? I can send that off to one on my local outlets to see if they carry them.