APC Forum

***Ball Mill Explosion!***

dagabu

Except for the type of media, that is EXACTLY what BB did and he lost his pinky. So, the answer is a resounding NO!

It does not matter what media it is, NEVER shake the container, you need to be away from the mill, it is not a matter of "IF" it will explode/burn/burst/start on fire but a matter of when.

ok but i didnt have a ball mill so what can i do?

You need to process your chemicals to make it dust. Process one at the time. Then mix it. It's never going to be quite as good as ball milled BP, but at least you'll get to keep your fingers. Hands. Life.

In the long run, you'll want to get a mill.

B!

Not if you value having your digits. I had powder caked to the walls of my mill jar, and elected to shake it. That was a mistake that I will NOT make again, and if I ever need to be reminded why, I can just look down at my hands.

Safety aside, shaking is not going to make good BP anyhow. Not unless you intend on shaking for hours and hours. Get a ball mill or rock tumbler as suggested. It is one of the most basic and essential tools you'll need for making pyrotechnics.

• Like 1

there are not diffrent way to mix it without ball mill or rock tumbler maybe shake it with diffrent metirial not steel ball?

Your insistent determination to not listen is an indication that you will indeed not take our advice, for the LAST time:

NO YOU MAY NOT SHAKE IT BY HAND! PERIOD!

indeed, you will find it very difficult to type that these men were correct with mangled hands covered in bandages...

• Like 1

indeed, you will find it very difficult to type that these men were correct with mangled hands covered in bandages...

+1!

• Like 1

Daniell,

This entire thread from post #1 on down should have given you enough evidence that ball milling is a very dangerous undertaking. As others have mentioned, please get a ball mill from a place like Harbor Freight to do you milling. Find and use lead media, not steel balls. Run the mill in an area away from people and buildings. Wear personal protective equipment when emptying the jar.

Most importantly, don't become another statistic by not following the advice given in this thread.

+1!

+2

• 3 months later...

This topic is one of the most valuable I have ever read in years of researching Pyro. My sincere thanks the all who have contributed to it.

I now unload my ball mill after milling BP with the best PPE I can afford, which in my case is a carhartt cold weather jacket with hood, safety glasses covered with safety goggles, a welders hood over that, the "cheap auto-darkening" sold at harbor freight, leather welders gloves, also sold there. I also wear coveralls on top of mostly cotton blue jeans and leather boots to protect my feet.

I worked some time as a industrial electrician, and the PPE to protect you from "arc flash" is much better if you can find it for cheap.

Yes, an arc flash suit is good for this kind of fast fire. Even my sweat shirt and jeans stopped the fire from my skin, only exposed areas were burnt.

• 1 year later...

This is an old post. But I just read it.. Holy fucking shit. Sorry for the language but it's appropriate here. I had an accident too. Luckily only burnt the shit out of my thumb. I was testing g a piece of BP on a brick and I had the jar open at least 5 feet away in my other (arms out wingspan like) and the piece I lit went up, ignited the jar in my hand and ignited the other jar I had sitting over a ways. I should have gone to the hospital but manned it out and it got better. This stuff will spark and fly and ignite any other BP around. For this I wear gloves and goggles and a leather face garmet. And NEVER TEST YOUR STUFF AROUND ANY OF YOUR OTHER STUFF.I was very lucky, and take every precaution when making BP. This can also happen with charcoal (not as fierce, but it can still happen) take care and wear that saftey gear.

Edit: please don't ban me for foul language, we've seen BBs pictures of his hands.. Everyone probably said out loud the same thing. Thanks. :)

Edited by Xzanth

HI guys im new in this forum and i need to know something i want to make BP and i dont have ball mill so i put all ingredients inside the container and mix it by hand and using steel balls is it safe or not and if not what can replace the steel balls?

Sorry to be late. But just in case anyone forgot, don't shake and don't play with marbles. I use marbles for kitty litter ONLY! AND HAVE A SEPERATE JAR FOR THIS USE ONLY.. Thanks ^-^
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Am new to the forum, I just joined, and a greeting to all and congratulations for the site, the best in my humble opinion, good information with little censorship.

I found very interesting this topic, late arrival compared to the incident and I think that now the wounds are healed at best and the victim has recovered to the fullest.

One theory I jumped to mind, and I personally think it is the only answer at power of BP in the mill.

In the mill I have read that were present, glass balls, composed of silicon oxide.

The theory came to me from another hobby or searching for minerals and crystals from collection.Mi often happens in the mountains when I hit with hammer and chisel on the quartz inside the quartzite ground are generated by piezoelectric shock.

Considering that the container has been shaken several times, as a story by the hypothesis that it is a piezoelectric shock is generated according to me to consider.

Edited by Nitrotitanite
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...