APC Forum

simple question potassium perchlorate

Merlin

Does potassium perchlorate absorb moisture over time? Does it loose potency? I notice the the bag from last year is a bit clumpy and not free flowing as when opened.

I know about cabosil. Does the perc absorb moisture or degrade? Thanks

Does potassium perchlorate absorb moisture over time?

No.

It also wont degrade. I expect it to be storage stable for centuries. Your bag will degrade first ;)

Sieve it before use and you're fine.

Over a period of years it will start to clump, especially without an anti-cake in there. It's not really a problem. One pass through a screen and it's back to the fine powder it started as. I've never noticed any deterioration or moisture absorption, even using perc well over 40 years old.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anti-cake in potassium perchlorate a problem when making color comps? Where is the best source for perchlorate. HobbyChem, Phils General Store, Pyrochemsource, Undergroung Gadgetsall all sell the stuff. Chinese potassium perchlorate okay. Anything better? Gadgets sells 99% pure perchlorate. How does that compare?

Sorry for so many questions and hope this is the right place to post

• 1 year later...

That's potassium metal. It bears next to no reactivity similarities to potassium salts.

Is anti-cake in potassium perchlorate a problem when making color comps? Where is the best source for perchlorate. HobbyChem, Phils General Store, Pyrochemsource, Undergroung Gadgetsall all sell the stuff. Chinese potassium perchlorate okay. Anything better? Gadgets sells 99% pure perchlorate. How does that compare?

Sorry for so many questions and hope this is the right place to post

I've heard rumors around the pyro community that the purer the perc. is , the more vibrant the color from your burning composition is going to be. but i have used both with anti-cake and without and have not seen much of any difference.

Stay Safe and Stay Green

~Steven

You shouldn't mind to much about the perc quality nowadays. Even the chinese quality perc is of a good quality nowadays.

When you read back a little you will find citates where people say chinese for colors and salutes, swedish for whistle or brilliant colors. And stating that the chines perc isn't pure enougn to make a whistle. But thats a problem of the past, the chinese closed the gap quite good. You can make good colors and whistle with it.

The bag of perc I saw two years ago had Spanish text on the outer bag and Chinese script on the inner bag. Perc may well be Chinese regardless of the label.

You shouldn't mind to much about the perc quality nowadays. Even the chinese quality perc is of a good quality nowadays.

When you read back a little you will find citates where people say chinese for colors and salutes, swedish for whistle or brilliant colors. And stating that the chines perc isn't pure enougn to make a whistle. But thats a problem of the past, the chinese closed the gap quite good. You can make good colors and whistle with it.

The Chinese perk I have been using the past few years is of high quality compared to years ago.