APC Forum

Custom rocket spindles

kpknd

Anyone know who can make a rocket spindle to my specifications, inexpensivly? I have been making a couple motors based in the PVC Sugar Rocket book and they have what I feel is the right geometry for the fuel I use. So far I have been using a drill bit rather than a spindle.

I've gotten a couple quotes from local machine shops and the prices tend to be right in line if not more expensive than the specialized pyro suppliers. Ben Smith does make custom tools, and I'm not sure about Wolter.

Rich Wolter will make custom tools as well. There might be other people with a lathe who can help you out too. Maybe they will send you a PM.

Shoot me a PM with your ideas, use this tooling sketcher to give me the dimensions, I will quote you a price, shipping (yes, I will need your address or a PO Box) and a lead time.

I recently had a custom set made by Ben Smith, he even gave some great suggestions to further improve my design. Very happy with the transaction.

I recently had a custom set made by Ben Smith, he even gave some great suggestions to further improve my design. Very happy with the transaction.

YES! Ben will do it for you as well, I had forgot about the custom line. Thanks DD!

Please forgive me/ignore this, for not answering the question directly but I thought I would offer what I have experienced :) :

Depending on the size of the motors, I have got away with using a drill press to tune my tooling to my fuel.

I say this because if you want custom tooling, there will always be a level of trial and error. At least if you DIY you can achieve what you want out of custom specs.

Then after you are sure on the ballpark you are working with you can make a custom order off one of the pro's. Unless you have already done all this ;D. Then this is what I would do... My 2c

I just think there would be nothing worse then paying good money for something that's not quiet right. ... Wishing things were slightly different.

Ben do good quality custom tooling. He made my Tom Rebenklau tool and i´m very happy with it. :)

Please forgive me/ignore this, for not answering the question directly but I thought I would offer what I have experienced :) :

Depending on the size of the motors, I have got away with using a drill press to tune my tooling to my fuel.

I say this because if you want custom tooling, there will always be a level of trial and error. At least if you DIY you can achieve what you want out of custom specs.

Then after you are sure on the ballpark you are working with you can make a custom order off one of the pro's. Unless you have already done all this ;D. Then this is what I would do... My 2c

I just think there would be nothing worse then paying good money for something that's not quiet right. ... Wishing things were slightly different.

​Yes! Some make the tooling to fit the fuel, others make the fuel to fit the tooling. I have a lathe (and I am not afraid to use it!) so the point is moot personally but for others, changing the fuel is easy and reversible, tooling? Not-so-much.

Can always drill out a nozzle a step or two, or wad tissue paper up into the top of the core. When rockets turn into fountains is when you really have troubles

Can always drill out a nozzle a step or two, or wad tissue paper up into the top of the core. When rockets turn into fountains is when you really have troubles

Yes you can but you can never exactly reproduce the exact results doing that. If ti is close enough, then it is fine but if you want to dial a rocket in, you will have to tweak your fuel just like the masters (TR comes to mind).