APC Forum

Reinforced gummed paper with filament inside

dangerousamateur

I have not seen any serious shell maker use the reinforced stuff, I tried it very early and I experienced a "hose break" kind of shell break. I got a case of kraft tape from ULINE and split it on my lathe then ran it through a gummed tape dispenser for shells. Works fine for small batches, a WASP is better for large shells and larger batches.

Fiberglass reinforcement. Just as i personally don't use plastic shell components, i don't use fiberglass reinforcements.

It's sort of a 2 fold policy. One concern is environmental, this stuff doesn't degrade over time, and will lay around for years to come, making nobody happy. The other is more about the average Joe's acceptance to pyro. Leaving shredded paper around that turns to mulch the first time it rains isn't going to upset the average Joe that much. Leaving bits of fiberglass and plastic everywhere, thats a different story.

If you feel you need the reinforcement, use natural fiber twine.

B!

• 4 weeks later...

Dagabu how did you go about splitting the roll?

I put it on a 3" mandrel with end plates, chuck it up and use a rotary cutter blade to split the whole roll at once. Slow speeds on the lathe, sharp blade, perfect 90° to the bed or you get a tapered roll.

The very lack of wet strength of real paper is what makes brown paper stick round ball shells with little creasing. anything with fibre reinforcement risks laying less well and making lumpy looking shells.

PS -biodegradable is good, you will never find all the bits of the shell body so make what you leave naturally degrade. Keeps the country clean and the neighbours happy.

You will not get caught for making fireworks til you upset the neighbours or your own family.

Edited by Arthur