APC Forum

Starmine Question

DontTreadOnMe76

I didn't see any reason to make a new thread for this but where can I find details to make one of these? It is quite an amazing show all in one break.

Edited by DontTreadOnMe76

To keep things organized I moved this to a new thread anyway, since this doesn't have anything to do with static or humidity.

Anyway, the overall device is called a starmine. It's unclear exactly how it was made. You can put a lot of different things into a starmine. From the looks of it, that one contained stars, crackle (dragon eggs), tourbillions, and maybe an insert shell. Starmines themselves are pretty simple to make, and would be a pretty suitable beginner project after you get BP manufacture and making stars down. Tourbillions are also pretty simple, and can easily be made once you have the basics down. Crackle and insert shells tend to be a little more complex.

So I am just gonna guess at this but the stars were burning on the way up, the dragons eggs were the crackling in the center, the tourbillions were the spinning glitter on the top left and the insert shell was the burst x2 at the top right? The possibilities seem rather endless with these as far as what goes into them. I am also assuming you can make one much larger than the one in that video. I love how complex the performance is for as basic as the concept is.

This salute is also pretty awesome, not just a boom, a pretty boom haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOeTNVKOj5E&list=LLzwNBDdJtK1yvPHrUvPFung&index=6

How about one of these comets, are they difficult to make? I love the fierce crackling you hear as it soars!

So I am just gonna guess at this but the stars were burning on the way up, the dragons eggs were the crackling in the center, the tourbillions were the spinning glitter on the top left and the insert shell was the burst x2 at the top right? The possibilities seem rather endless with these as far as what goes into them. I am also assuming you can make one much larger than the one in that video. I love how complex the performance is for as basic as the concept is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOeTNVKOj5E&list=LLzwNBDdJtK1yvPHrUvPFung&index=6

Actually, the 'ground bomb' is pretty dangerous because of the ground debris being thrown out, rocks, sticks etc. We do a ground salute line very year for 5 whole days at PGI and yes, they are significantly larger but they are at least 5 feet off the ground to keep everyone safe.

How about one of these comets, are they difficult to make? I love the fierce crackling you hear as it soars!

No, not really but you have to have a basic understanding of chems, process, a press, paper goods, etc to make one. It sounds like you need to do a little reading on the subject first. A good place to start

Yep, you got it. I messed up the spelling the first time, but tourbillon means whirlwind in french, which may make the name make more sense. It's also not a true glitter. Those particular ones have titanium in them, which kind of shimmers and can resemble a glitter at times.

The possibilities are quite endless. The possibilities are even more endless with shells. They can, in theory be made any size. Practically though you rarely see them made any larger than 6". At a certain point you have to worry about over pressurizing the mortars and causing explosions.

No, not really but you have to have a basic understanding of chems, process, a press, paper goods, etc to make one. It sounds like you need to do a little reading on the subject first. A good place to start

I am signed up for that newsletter, I'll do a little more reading haha. I won't be manufacturing anything for some time because I am right on a university campus, that is VERY close to a highway lol. Just studying for now. I plan to buy a pyro chemistry book soon, any suggestions for a starter?

• Like 1

Yep, you got it. I messed up the spelling the first time, but tourbillon means whirlwind in french, which may make the name make more sense. It's also not a true glitter. Those particular ones have titanium in them, which kind of shimmers and can resemble a glitter at times.

The possibilities are quite endless. The possibilities are even more endless with shells. They can, in theory be made any size. Practically though you rarely see them made any larger than 6". At a certain point you have to worry about over pressurizing the mortars and causing explosions.

Like these ones? lol

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/gallery/image/86-excali-mortars/

I'm an opponent of ground salutes in most of their forms but that format (fountain + boom) is quite common in countries where large ground salutes are legal (or at least less controlled) e.g eastern europe.

I think that was done on purpose and although I never used excalibur, I think the're 1.75" - it just shows how important tube material is in any case. PVC would have shattered like glass. I've seen images of large multibreak shells also doing interesting (and dangerous) things with steel.

I don't dislike any firework, but the people who are misusing them... That is something else entirely. Any pyrotechnic device can be just as dangerous if misused. Edited by DontTreadOnMe76