APC Forum

strobe formula with silicone

bprocket

I'm looking for some input into what I'm doing wrong with my strobe formula.

Ammonium Perchlorate 63

Black copper oxide 10

PVC. 5

GE Silicone II. 22

It is mixed dry with 100 mesh screens and the silicone incorporated.

I've dried it, riced it, packed it wet. It is just not energetic. Anybody have a suggestion?

What exactly do you mean by energetic?

This formula also is dependent upon the silicone caulk as well. #GE5000 is the recommended one.

I totally agree. It makes a bunch of ash. The rocket does not have enough energy to get out of its own way. For a fountain this is pretty nice. For a strobe rocket,,,not so good. Anybody have any luck with this formula?

BP, I an not aware of any strobe rockets that use the strobe fuel for lift, all of the ones I have made use whistle to lift off then the strobe kicks in for the visual effect. How did you make yours?

Dagabu, I thought for sure I would get some lift out of this thru a nozzle but now that you mention it, and I give it some thought, you're right, not enough power/energy to be used on its own. I'll try a bp core with the strobe mix. Thanks.

Yeah, don't nozzle the GE ll strobe, WAY too much ash, you need a nozzleless design with whistle for the boost, no way will BP get it high enough to burn off that strobe fuel. Also, the AP will turn to mush if you use BP for the booster.

"In contact with potassium nitrate (e.g. in black powder) produces potassium perchlorate and hygroscopic ammonium nitrate; no such reaction with sodium nitrate. Reacts with potassium chlorate, producing unstable, gradually decomposing ammonium chlorate; such combination has to be avoided."

​You gotta spend some time reading now before you try again, AP really should be kept away from your work area as much as possible, once the AP decomposes it can do so with some energy and violence.

"Ammonium chlorate is a very unstable oxidizer and will decompose, sometimes violently, at room temperature. This results from the mixture of the reducing ammonium cation and the oxidizing chlorate anion. Even solutions are known to be unstable. Because of the dangerous nature of this salt it should only be kept in solution when needed, and never be allowed to crystallize."

• Like 1

While I agree with you on the nozzle and lift factors, I don't think the formation of ammonium nitrate will be as big of a deal. The silicone should seal the AP off quite well from the nitrate in the BP.

Perhaps. I was just retelling what I was told by a good dozen of the pros over at the site that passes fire... Perhaps an over reaction.

• 6 months later...

So glad you brought up the subject...you may not be doing anything wrong; I believe it is the silicone II. In the late 90's and early 2000's I was a fanatic about that formula... made pellets, fountains, rockets... with custom tools. Kinda quit for a while and last year tried to revive the famous blue strobe rocket, to no avail. The GE Silicone II had a different design to the tube, and, the rockets barely left the ground and burned much longer than the original. I have heard to try the bathroom sealant variety but I have not tried this yet. When they worked, they were impressive! Not a lot of lifting power but they went up pretty fast with a helicopter "thup thup thup" sound. I used a slightly extended standard BP spindle with clay nozzle and end plug. They needed to cure a good 5 days minimum.

So glad you brought up the subject...you may not be doing anything wrong; I believe it is the silicone II. In the late 90's and early 2000's I was a fanatic about that formula... made pellets, fountains, rockets... with custom tools. Kinda quit for a while and last year tried to revive the famous blue strobe rocket, to no avail. The GE Silicone II had a different design to the tube, and, the rockets barely left the ground and burned much longer than the original. I have heard to try the bathroom sealant variety but I have not tried this yet. When they worked, they were impressive! Not a lot of lifting power but they went up pretty fast with a helicopter "thup thup thup" sound. I used a slightly extended standard BP spindle with clay nozzle and end plug. They needed to cure a good 5 days minimum.

That would certainly explain the reason why the thrust was so poor. I would love to have the formula for this blue that worked for rockets, it would be a real crowd pleaser!

I bet there are better ways to make a strobe with blue color visible as well... just haven't tried it yet. The strobe fuel itself doesn't have to emit a blue color.

I don't believe there are any "real" variants for the GE silicone blue formula. The same one used for rockets, is also used for stars. If I remember correctly, it was originally made on standard BP rocket tooling. With a nozzle. Edited by Carbon796

Does anyone know if the good silicone had a vinegar smell or an ammonia smell? It wouldn't surprise me if they have changed formulations of the caulk. Knowing what the original was like might help find a suitable replacement.

I totally agree. It makes a bunch of ash. The rocket does not have enough energy to get out of its own way. For a fountain this is pretty nice. For a strobe rocket,,,not so good. Anybody have any luck with this formula?

How tall is your nozzle ?

Also these rockets are noted as not having a lot of thrust, are they not flying or just weak ?

Does anyone know if the good silicone had a vinegar smell or an ammonia smell? It wouldn't surprise me if they have changed formulations of the caulk. Knowing what the original was like might help find a suitable replacement.

Info from circa 2010 suggests it didnt use acetic acid so no vinegar smell as it cured.

link: www.logwell.com/tech/servtips/RTV.html

Presumably in response to consumer complaints about odor, the major manufacturers have introduced non-acetic cure silicone products for the consumer market. General Electric Silicone II is the best we have found.

Edited by Col

lol, further diggin` reveals it used ammonia. Also, sometime around 2006 GE added "BioSeal" (mildew inhibiter) to the GE-5000 so that might have a bearing. The GE Silicone II XST doesnt contain bioseal so that might be worth a test.

Sooooo, the caulk formula did change... it did have some odor, definately not acetic (vinegar) like the other silicones of the day. 3/4" ID rockets oscillated at about 3-4Hz. A shaped cylinder of the said rocket formula, like 1/2-3/4" dia, if set on end and lit on top end would produce oscillatory burning all the while throwing off slighly bent discs of ash...really interesting behaviour. Mr. John Steinburg shot a few large versions of these rockets at a Kellner's fireworks demo night, 1999(?), and he had salutes as payloads on his!! A worthwhile cause to bring these back as good as the originals!

To my knowledge GE5000 Silicone II has never used an acetic acid based formula. Silicone I was the acetic acid formula, where as Silicone II produced ammonia and methanol. Maybe it's the additives or some change in base formula as opposed to curing mechanism that changed everything.

I've never made it, so I have no idea what it was supposed to burn like. Maybe others with experience could mix up a batch with the current product and confirm it's different.

The ammonia by-product type is Oxime, it reacts with copper and some copper alloys. Another option is the Alkoxy type which produces methanol or methanol/ethanol as a by-product during curing, it doesnt react with copper. As the Oxime type reacts with copper, the Alkoxy may be a better candidate. Havent looked but i bet its the more expensive of the two :)