APC Forum

Russian cakes and candles

Respirator

I recently took part in one of my random trips to Russia and decided to stop by at one of their common fireworks stores - something unseen in my permanent country of residence.

I bought a few small cakes and as much roman candles (sadly restricted by my relatives, not the store owner) as possible. Upon pre-fire inspection, "slight" disassmbly and firing, I discovered a few peculiar points that might deserve mention...

- The green visco that was used as the cake's main fuse had 2 layers as usual but the outer layer only had 2 threads going around the fuse. My prior experiences with visco and my homemade visco differ in this regard..

- The firecrackers were not strung into any sort of brick or roll, and did not have a fuse, but rather a red tip similar to a spolette that you light. I didn't actually buy any so cannot add more.

- The shells on a small, 0.75", 9 shot cake were boosted to an extreme and sounded like sharp titanium salutes at 20m height. I understand that commercial bombettes use flash commonly but this sounded like straight 70/30 and still lit at least 10 -13 stars on each shot with nice, wide breaks. (enough to wake up a nearby hospital which we had not noticed.)

- Not a single pyrotechnic device had a "THIS WAY UP" sign, including roman candles, rockets reloadable shells and 300+ shot cakes which looked almost indistinguishable in both sides.

I can just imagine a drunk getting into a particulary unpleasant situation involving 300 aerial shells going off over the course of 40 secs and an upturned cake.....

I also observed some other things that may belong in the random section - I can always move them there:

- Russian fireworks safety officials specifically said that pyrotechnics with even a single Chinese symbol are not to be sold or used. Nothing is said about other, similar languages.

- The limit between consumer (class I, II, III) and professional (class IV, V), I thought was 1.25 inches based on what I saw but Niladmirari mentions that they go up to 4 inch...

Edited by Respirator

- The firecrackers were not strung into any sort of brick or roll, and did not have a fuse, but rather a red tip similar to a spolette that you light. I didn't actually buy any so cannot add more.

Sounds like strikers. Also are unreliable as hell from the experiences i've had. I'm sure thats down to cutting corners, saving money, and so on. Anyway, you CAN light them with a lighter and so on, but they really are supposed to be lit on a matchbox. I'd prefer to have as little with them to do as possible, but then again, i'm not much of a fan for firecrackers. Might work if you put em in a shell, as small salutes.

B!

- Not a single pyrotechnic device had a "THIS WAY UP" sign, including roman candles, rockets reloadable shells and 300+ shot cakes which looked almost indistinguishable in both sides.

I can just imagine a drunk getting into a particulary unpleasant situation involving 300 aerial shells going off over the course of 40 secs and an upturned cake.....

It is assumed that if one cannot figure out which side is up, it is not a good idea to light the pyrotechnic device :) .

Sounds like strikers. Also are unreliable as hell from the experiences i've had. I'm sure thats down to cutting corners, saving money, and so on. Anyway, you CAN light them with a lighter and so on, but they really are supposed to be lit on a matchbox.

Yes, that would explain the black sides on the box. They also make a 2 bang variety that would definitely be nice in a shell. I wish i had them back home...

Edited by Respirator

I was about to visit Русский Фейерверк (that the first video is from) - it displayed and "open" sign but the door was boarded and nailed shut...

Is there even a limit (diameter-wise) ?

Respirator, Russkii Feuerwerk (Русский Фейерверк, or Russian Fireworks) is accessible to me online, but I don't have your geographic limitation. Niladmirari, what a great source of fireworks. These fireworks are so "tight and clear". There is a reason certain ideographs are not found on Russian fireworks.

I'm still in Russia and going north soon, so I might stop by an outlet of Русский Фейерверк (Russian Fireworks) and just take a closer look.

There is a reason certain ideographs are not found on Russian fireworks.

Yes, I understand, but still thought that deserved mentioning.

What is more interesting is that many if not a majority of pyrotechnics used in Russia are manufactured in China (usually by Russian owned companies though)

- The limit between consumer (class I, II, III) and professional (class IV, V), I thought was 1.25 inches based on what I saw but Niladmirari mentions that they go up to 4 inch...

1) I once bought one, it still had delay element inside. The bad thing is, that when it burns it is not visible outside

2) In Russia harshness of the laws is compensated by their selective application. This said, it is often possible to acquire tools/chemicals that are not meant to non-licensed, if you are ready to delve into grey market.

I was about to visit Русский Фейерверк (that the first video is from) - it displayed and "open" sign but the door was boarded and nailed shut...

Yeah, sounds like Russia. It usually means that it is actually works, but the seller left for a little. Often a sign with a time may be found.

Edited by krakra