APC Forum

Granulating BP With NC Binder

nwpyro

Anyone else ever try this? I figured it would make for some good BP as there isn't any binder to slow it down. Seemed to work well! I had to make some granulate fast before it got dark this evening.

I used a 5% NC solution in Acetone. Jesus I had to work fast... Acetone evaporates so fast it's rediculous!!! About five minutes after granulation the stuff was ready for use! Probably a good idea to use a very hot and fast double base smokeless for the fastest powder. I just had some moderate speed double base.

I have actually played with this while trying to develope mill-less lift. I only used an additional 3% NC, meaning 3g of NC per 100g of comp. Dissolved that in a minimal amount of acetone, trying to not get it too thin as I was intending for the 3% to get into the comp. It was a pain to get it all too dissolve, but I was not in a hurry. Used a hand mixed 75:15:10 with commercial charcoal.

Stuff worked pretty decent, given the granules were around 2fa, I was able to lift 3" ball shells fine, thinking it was 10% lift.

Yes, you can use NC, but this won't result i the fastest powder possible as NC is just burning quite slowly in the open.

Also i would use straight NC and not double base or other (personal feeling, i would never wan't any NGand other in my bp)

But this granules work very good for rockets.

BTW as you use and organic solvent you can just use an exess ifnit dry too fast for you.

Edited by schroedinger

I actually made it too wet the first try. After a minute of kneading it had evaporated enough to be proper consistency though.

I would have to agree about not getting the fastest powder possible. My normal granulated BP with +2% SGRS seems just as fast or faster. I always get great results with granulation with water binders.

Well dry after 2 minutes is quite fast, how hot is it in your area? My diethyl ether even takes longer (and that stuff is nearly boiling at normal temperatures)

Five minutes to pretty much fully dry, as I said in my first post. It's about 70-75f during the day with wind. Humidity around 40-50% right now.

Actually, I don't think humidity matters with acetone evaporation except to prevent water condensation. You ever worked with acetone? It evaporates like no other solvent I have ever seen...

Edited by nwpyro

You ever worked with acetone? It evaporates like no other solvent I have ever seen...

Cellulose thinner, try it. For NC stuff it should be a match made in heaven. But it's nasty stuff.

B!

Of coursemi know how acetone evaporates, nut never had it evapirate that fast. Diezhyl ether evaporates a lot faster