APC Forum

Making Screens

Ddizzle22

Looking at making a few screens for granulated BP I was thinking of going with 4 mesh 8 mesh and 12 mesh. Trying to located the exact sizes on mcMaster and been having a hell of a time. I would like to use the 5 gallon bucket as a frame instead of wood. Any help on finding what mesh sizes would be listed on mccaster would be great.

Edited by dvandriesen

I'd assume you mean McMaster. If you search for "wire cloth" you'll find what you need. For the coarser screens, especially when you'll be granulating wet comp through, I'd go with a thicker wire. Thicker wires are also easier to melt into the plastic buckets. I'd also go 304 grade stainless steel. You'll see all the sizes listed as # x #. The number is actually the mesh size. Mesh is holes per linear inch. So 8x8 is 8 holes per inch across by 8 holes per inch down, and this is 8 mesh.

You'll have to decide if you want 4 mesh, or an opening of 1/4". When you account for the wire diameter in a 4 mesh screen, the actual opening is probably only about 0.20" If you want approximately true sized openings, you'll probably end up needing 3 mesh, 6 mesh, and 9 or 10 mesh.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply that should help alot in my hunt. Pyrodirect was out of stock in what i was looking for so figured i would start hunting for my own.

Another good spot to look - other than mcmaster - which might be a cheaper option can be found here:

http://www.bwire.com

Mcmaster is really only good for stainless steel wire mesh and the discs, but price varies wildly - so looking around can save you a lot of $ in the end.

It's generally the most recommended material. It's relatively inexpensive, strong, inert, doesn't rust, and is non-sparking. Brass is also used sometimes, though is incompatible with a couple of the chemicals we use.

The McMaster-Carr stainless mesh is quite expensive, but it's very much better than the cheaper alternatives. Really strong and stiff. For drying screens get a roll of the cheap galvanized stuff, but for screens you're going to press through, like for parlon stars, you really need the good stainless.

Price swings wildly on this stuff due to inner-industry buying and selling - make sure to look around for the best deal. I am telling you price can change 30% overnight!