APC Forum

Sulphur from eggs !?

Milyan720

Is it possible to extract sulphur from eggs?

If possible can someone tell me.

I can buy the sulphur but I would really like to explore the chemistry :)

... I'm a noob

I searched up "where to get Sulphur" and someone said eggs. Just straight up said "eggs" noting else. Eggs should have Sulphur , rotten eggs smell smelly because the molecule that you smell contains a Sulphur atom.

i'm really sorry but PMSL, I know your asking a serious question and if you serch for sulfur in google it will tell you every thing you neef to know. if you want to purchace some look on ebay or chemical/garden suppliers that are around where you live or on-line.

If you would like some more help if you say where your from i.e UK, USA, AUS... ect you might get some help from members in that area.

the CAS number for Sulfur is 7704-34-9 found on the wiki if that helps :)

Kilnj69

A raw egg contains about 180 milligrams of Sulfur per 100 grams. I know of no way to extract it from eggs and it would not be economical if you could.

Milyan720,

Saw your other post about obtaining carbon from battery electrodes. Since money is of no concern, you might be more efficient using Beluga caviar as both your sulphur and your carbon source. Charred Beluga makes a really fast charcoal, I would think.

Milyan720,

Saw your other post about obtaining carbon from battery electrodes. Since money is of no concern, you might be more efficient using Beluga caviar as both your sulphur and your carbon source. Charred Beluga makes a really fast charcoal, I would think.

Perhaps but it is very low sparking... Perhaps Sevruga makes better sparks? :P

Thanks for the replies

I might just buy Sulphur

If an egg only contains 180 g per 100gm there's no point of extracting it

I live in Australia, there a hardware store that sells Sulphur but I dont know how good it is

Sulfur is mined from the ground, the ones you buy now are byproducts of oil processing. Perhaps the OP thought he could extract sulfur from eggs because hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs...

There isn't much sulfur in eggs, and the sulfur in there however little is going to take some real chemistry magic to extract.

Just buy the thing.

Just drop by today and seen this title. :D !

Milyan720, pay attention to the sulfer that you buy. Some sulfers have acids that do not re-act will with pyro chemicals.

So just read up on the type of sulfer you need as there are differences in them..............Pat

Possible? Yes. Easy? not really. Just buy the sulfur. At worst, it will be gardening sulfur, and be about 90% pure. The other 10% is typically clay. It's useful for acidifying soils, particularly for things like roses.

Like it was said, commercially sulfur is generally produced from petroleum refinement. So you could if you have some crude oil if all you wanted to do is explore chemistry.

What about sulphuric acid?

Is it possible to extract suplur from that?

OK, I think we getting Punk'd now, go away Milyan...

• 2 weeks later...

I got some sulfur from a bath shop on Ebay and it works great. I think it's 98%. They use it in bath salts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies

I might just buy Sulphur

If an egg only contains 180 g per 100gm there's no point of extracting it

I live in Australia, there a hardware store that sells Sulphur but I dont know how good it is

I bet it's good enough if it's "dusting sulfur"!

Getting sulfur from eggs would probably be as easy as extracting gold from seawater (possible but impractical).

WSM B)

If only to explore the chemistry, look up the barking dog reaction. Burning carbon disulfide in an oxidizing atmosphere such as nitrous oxide will produce elemental sulfur. Edited by rogeryermaw
  • Like 1

If only to explore the chemistry, look up the barking dog reaction. Burning carbon disulfide in an oxidizing atmosphere such as nitrous oxide will produce elemental sulfur.

Plus likely explode violently. I'd leave this one alone till you mature as an experienced chemist. Carbon disulfide is more flammable than ethyl ether, which is extremely flammable in its own right (I had the burns to prove it).

A bit of friendly advice... Keep new or unknown experiments very small. A small accident is MUCH easier to walk away from. ;) :whistle:

WSM B)

• Like 1

i'm not suggesting he try it. just you tube it on periodic videos. there is a fantastic demonstration and a good explanation of the science behind it.

also, if anyone hasn't seen it yet, you tube "the science of fireworks" by the royal institution. it's a real attention grabber.

Edited by rogeryermaw

You can make sulfur from sodium thiosulfate but I don't remember what exactly to do , but it went something like add conc hcl and something else to it and letting it sit created elemental sulfur

You just have to add HCl to sodium thiosulfate to make sulfur. Thiosulfuric acid is unstable and decomposes into elemental sulfur, water, and sulfur dioxide.