APC Forum

Green Mix for priming

Sparx88

Screen mixed BP, 75/25/10. Add your choice of binder or use dextrin liquor.

ok i'm a noob, 75/25/10 not troling, i've just never heard of that. i'm sure your right nater but did you mean 75/15/10 (adds to 100) or 68.18/22.72/9.09 (adds up to 99.99). I promise i'm not being anal it's just the comps usually (not allways) add to 100 or 100 +5% i.e dextrin ect. :)

Kilnj69

ok i'm a noob, 75/25/10 not troling, i've just never heard of that. i'm sure your right nater but did you mean 75/15/10 (adds to 100) or 68.18/22.72/9.09 (adds up to 99.99). I promise i'm not being anal it's just the comps usually (not allways) add to 100 or 100 +5% i.e dextrin ect. :)

Kilnj69

Kiln,

A lot of the time we speak about comps in the terms of "parts" and that does not mean they necessarily add up to 100%, it may be more, it may be less depending on the person writing it. This is normal and not in violation of ADD rules. :P

Take for example my comp (recipe) for rocket delay, 75 KN03, 15 charcoal, 10 Sulfur, 6 titanium flakes, 1 dextrin. 107%

kilnj69 is correct though. I suspect there was a typo. 75/15/10 are the correct proportions.

So "green mix" is just BP? I was thinking it was something with barium nitrate or is a green star comp.

Also known as scratch mix or screen mix. Can be referred to with any comp, but unless specified I would take it as standard 75/15/10-- BP. As Mumbles and kilnj69 said. Unless nater ups the charcoal to heat/slag it up more.

Just the 'green stuff'... Like an unripe banana :)

The benefits of it are, slow burning and slaggy. So it ignites things better than meal. I have primed dragon eggs in the past with green and it works fine. When I used meal it just burnt off leaving a perfectly formed egg :P. Actually a lot of people prime with it. I don't, but it's only out if habit and what primes I use work.

Sparx, there is just so much lingo isn't there!? It's madness and there is so much room for misconception. You could be forgiven.

Edited by jessoman

dagabu

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

kilnj69, on 03 Jul 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:snapback.png

Kilnj69

Kiln,

A lot of the time we speak about comps in the terms of "parts" and that does not mean they necessarily add up to 100%, it may be more, it may be less depending on the person writing it. This is normal and not in violation of ADD rules. :P

Take for example my comp (recipe) for rocket delay, 75 KN03, 15 charcoal, 10 Sulfur, 6 titanium flakes, 1 dextrin. 107%

Thanks dagabu,

I really hope your doing well and apreciate your here to give some people your time to nudge them im the right direction :) I've seen and read alot of your post and i'm a fan of you rockets.

I know alot of of comps/recipies don't ad up to 100.

I did say that not allways comps add to 100, my old fuse mix added to 39.02 (Total) converted from pounds and ounces. abit of pyro math later, I converted to percent (that's how I learnt).

i'm sure it was just a typo in nater's reply. I just thought it might of been a new comp I was not aware of and if so it would be expressed as previously mentioned (99.99 Parts) or 75/15/10 +10 charcoal.

I'm sure it is meant to be (greenmix blackpowder) 75 kno3 15 charcoal 10 sulfur.

as I mentioned, not trying to step on any-one's toes,just wanted to know the correct information for people (still learning) like me.

Kilnj69

Yes, it was a typo. See my post in another thread about 16 hour days and why I have not been doing as much pyro due to mental drain when I am off work.

I'd suggest you look up "fence post prime", it can just as well be hand mix. It will reliably light almost any comp you will be making into stars. The 75:15:10 is most likely going to give you blind stars. It's ok for BP based stars, like charcoal streamers, but color stars will likely not ignite reliably.