APC Forum

Potassium sorbate as rocket fuel

mabuse00

It was just mentioned that sorbic acid salts can be used to make whistle mix. I thought this must be a typo, but google actually brought some hits.

Potassium sorbate is readily available in the EU.

Since I could not find much information, can anyone here share some experience with it?

If it had advantages beside weirdo sounds it would have found some use in the pyro scene. It seems that it does not...

How ist the burn rate compared to salicylate & benzoate?

Is it as waxy/hard to mill down?

I'm just curious ;)

Edited by mabuse00

75 parts Potassium Perchlorate, 25 parts Potassium Sorbate, 1 part Red Iron Oxide, 3 parts Petroleum Jelly in Colemans White Gas.

My results were very similar to Benzo whistle, the tone was a bit different but the power was about the same. It's a wine clarifier and yeast stopper, it's more expensive around here and mills like potassium benzoate.

No worries its easy to mill down. A coffee grinder makes very fine powder out of it.

Everything else like dag said

No worries its easy to mill down. A coffee grinder makes very fine powder out of it.

Have you actually tried it out?

I'll have to try that sometime. That's what I like in this hobby, there's allways something to try out... Enough for a lifetime ;)

Yes tried that.
I got mine from brewing supplier in belgium as little pellets. Couple seconds in the mill and you get first airfloat powder

I'll have to try that sometime. That's what I like in this hobby, there's allways something to try out... Enough for a lifetime ;)

KClO4 burning all :)

• 6 years later...

Finally did a test last year.

The food grade pellets, ground down using a kitchen blender, using oxichloride and mineral oil.

Well, it made some faint noises but burned so slow that a 4x id spindled whistle motor with almost without payload did not even achieve a liftoff.

I had the experience that somehow mineral oil has a strong slowing effect on my rockets, but this couldn't have been the only issue. This will be investigated futher... some time...;)