APC Forum

Whistle Mix

Ddizzle22

Been reading alot and have come to a point that I'm curious if on 3" and 4" shells is it a must to use either flash or whistle mix for the burst charge. Is the BP coated rice hulls not enough to break these size shells.

It is a matter of preference. Hot BP on rice hulls will give impressive breaks in 3 and 4 inch shells. However, if your BP is slightly lacking or you simply desire some more punch in the break, you may opt to add some flash or whistle to the BP hulls.

Make a shell with just BP on hulls, then increase the booster until you're where you want to be. Be advised that layers of pasting can also play a role in break size and report.

Appreciate the reply I figured Alot had to do with personal preference just noticed Alot of tutorials call for and extra booster. I wasn't sure if the BP coated rice hulls were enough to actually break the shell. Thanks.

You can try granulated BP as well on smaller shells. The shell will be a little heavier, but without the rice hulls taking up space you can get more BP in there for burst. I prefer whistle to flash for a booster for a few simple reasons: No distracting flash with the burst and I usually have some for making rockets.

• Like 1