APC Forum

Questions regarding WPA Do It 2014

AzoMittle

Hello all!

I am hoping to attend Do It this year however this would be my first pyro convention and I had a couple of questions. Thank you kindly!

1) I could not find the details of when it is, only where, has this information been posted yet?

2) I'm not a WPA member yet. Do I have enough time to still join and attend Do It?

2b) For membership application it says to either: have the recommendation of 2 current members, be a member of another pyro club, or write a letter explaining your interest in pyro.

I am just a beginner (I have been doing this for around 2 years now) who only does small KN based shells and rockets. I am not able to launch most of the year where I live due to severe fire hazards; I want to attend Do It for three reasons: 1) it is one of a handful, at best, of chances a year for me to shoot 2) I think it would be a great opportunity to meet people and learn some things and 3) it looks like a ton of fun. Would something along these lines be valid for the membership application?

3) Due to medical reasons I am unable to drive and would need a friend or family member to drive me there. I saw that Do It is strictly limited to WPA members however my friend is not a pyro and has no interest in joining. Would we be turned away or would he be restricted from launch sites or how would that work?

4) How much is built on-site vs. brought in nearly finished or finished? Do people really just show up with bags of chemicals, some paper, and glue and get to work? That's impressive. Are there any traditions or rules I should be aware of before attending?

5) If anyone here is from the San Francisco Bay area please send me a PM, I would love to grab a coffee sometime and discuss Do It and general pyro.

6) Who all is planning on attending this year?

EDIT: 7) And what do you plan on building/launching?

Thank you again,

AzoMittle

Edited by AzoMittle

Hello all!

I am hoping to attend Do It this year however this would be my first pyro convention and I had a couple of questions. Thank you kindly!

1) I could not find the details of when it is, only where, has this information been posted yet?

- Do-It will be held from Sept 25-27, with cleanup on the 28th. You can find more info on the website, under the events tab at http://www.westernpyro.org

2) I'm not a WPA member yet. Do I have enough time to still join and attend Do It?

- Yes you have plenty of time, you can register on site even, though it will be more expensive.

2b) For membership application it says to either: have the recommendation of 2 current members, be a member of another pyro club, or write a letter explaining your interest in pyro.

I am just a beginner (I have been doing this for around 2 years now) who only does small KN based shells and rockets. I am not able to launch most of the year where I live due to severe fire hazards; I want to attend Do It for three reasons: 1) it is one of a handful, at best, of chances a year for me to shoot 2) I think it would be a great opportunity to meet people and learn some things and 3) it looks like a ton of fun. Would something along these lines be valid for the membership application?

- You will have no problem joining, I would be glad too be one of your references. I'm sure another member here would do the same. Just send me a PM when you're ready too sign up and i'll send you my name and member number.

3) Due to medical reasons I am unable to drive and would need a friend or family member to drive me there. I saw that Do It is strictly limited to WPA members however my friend is not a pyro and has no interest in joining. Would we be turned away or would he be restricted from launch sites or how would that work?

- Unfortunately your friend would not be allowed inside the gates unless he was a member, though there is a system now where you can "bring a friend", and they don't have too pay a membership fee, only an event fee which is quite cheap. However i'm not sure if you can bring a guest on your first year, maybe Peret can chime in on this.

4) How much is built on-site vs. brought in nearly finished or finished? Do people really just show up with bags of chemicals, some paper, and glue and get to work? That's impressive. Are there any traditions or rules I should be aware of before attending?

- You can purchase commercial Class B (1.3g), or Class C (1.4g) too use on site, if you'd like I can send you a price list from last year so you can get a general idea. As far as manufacturing goes, everyone who wishes too manufacture fills out an application for a spot, and members bring there E-Z ups, ball mills, chemicals, and other equipment needed too manufacture. It really is just as it sounds. I will PM you a list of rules in the manufacturing area as well.

5) If anyone here is from the San Francisco Bay area please send me a PM, I would love to grab a coffee sometime and discuss Do It and general pyro.

- I know a few members who live in the area, i'll see if I can find a way for you too car pool with someone.

6) Who all is planning on attending this year?

- I will be there for sure, haven't missed one in 5 years.

EDIT: 7) And what do you plan on building/launching?

- I will have some 4", 5", 6" and 8" shells too shoot, I will also be building a 16 on site.

Thank you again,

AzoMittle

Hey Azo,

The signup forms aren't on the WPA web site yet but will be soon. The membership application is on there, though. You won't have any trouble being accepted if you've actually built a firework of your own - many existing members never have.

You should be able to bring a guest the first year if you can't find a member to car pool with.

This year, member Dave Ferguson will be building and launching a stupendous monster rocket that will dwarf the merely ordinary monster rocket he fired last year.

Thank you all for the responses; and thank you Dagabu, your--the senior members'--opinion means a lot.

Xtreme Pyro, I will send you a PM shortly, thank you for help.

Peret, That is a great relief, thank you also. I look forward to Dave's rocket, I know he's built a few 'small' rockets before.

Go ahead and list me as a reference too, just pm for the creds!!

I'll be there, probably blowin up the rocket racks.. I migh try to build an 8 if I get around to it!

You won't regret coming to DO IT and as an extension of that, joining the wpa! We got some -big stuff- in the works!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending this year as well. Not sure what I will be building yet though. If I can bring my minor brother I will be limited to 4" shells and 1lb BP rockets, but if not I may try something bigger. If I go by myself this year I may have room for you to come along if you still need a ride. The best tips I can give you are:

Be super organized. If you are going to manufacture make sure you have all the materials you need ready to go. One year I wrote a list of what to prepare first based on drying time and such, and had the vast majority of my compositions pre-weighed but with the components separated. Stuff like that is fantastic when you are laboring in the super hot and dry desert. Have things like rocket sticks precut and ready to go. If it is hot stuff dries very quickly, but a drying box might be apt if the weather turns out to be less than scorching. Doing things like crossmatching time fuse in advance, even glueing them into shell casings is also a time saver. Basically if it is legal to do at home you probably should do it to make your experience more enjoyable.

At night everything combustible goes into the Mfg. magazine, and everything else should be tightly tucked away at your site or in your car. While the manufacturing area is pretty far from the shooting ranges, things have been known to sometimes land there. Rockets in particular are a threat, so keep your stuff stored! One of the manufacturing rules is that your car must be parked between you and your neighbor's Mfg. site. Your windows must be rolled up, your doors unlocked, and your key in the ignition. This minimizes the chance of your car being a victim if something goes wrong and you are nowhere to be found.

Bring good quality tent spikes and/or weights to keep your Ez-Up from blowing away. In the short time I have been with the WPA I have seen storms roll through the mfg. area and take some poor fellow's tent for a ride. We have also closely dodged large dust devils, that sort of thing. Also, you can never have enough tables or chairs.

Bring appropriate attire for the weekly weather forecast.

Order any Class B you want before the deadline nears. Things like quickmatch and such are a must. You can also preorder Class C cases I believe.

Get ready to have fun! Every night there is an "afterglow" with free food and drink, everyone sits around and talks. This is great time to glean wisdom from some extremely experienced and talented pyros.

Hawthorne is a small town. Eating options are pretty limited. There are two hardware stores and a Vons grocery store. I would stock up on drinks and such when you arrive, since prices are better in NV than Cali. Personally my usual routine is breakfast at The Refinery (a surprisingly good American style diner), a sandwich for lunch, and the afterglow party for a late night dinner.

I am not sure what route if most efficient for you, but for me I get the best time taking the 120 through yosemite park. This route is incredibly beautiful and highly recommended, if you are into that sort of thing.

Edited by PersonGuyDude