APC Forum

Crossette size

asdercks

Hi guys, I've just received my 3/4" crossette star pump from wolter and I have just realized that I have no idea what size of shell should I use for this size of stars, can I use them in a 4" shell or are they too large for this size of shell?

It all depends on comps and what effect you are trying for. Some use crosettes as big as 1-1/4" in 5's and 6's as a Sfera shell. I would think that you can have some fun using your pump for 4's.

Mark

• Like 1

I use 3/4" crossettes in 3 and 4" shells. I've always wanted to try them in a 5", but thats a lot of crossettes to make. 21 fit in a 3" shell, 33 to 44 in a 4" shell, and about 75 in a 5" shell.

I used crossetts in my last 8'' shell, it took a bunch to fill it but it was well worth the time it took to make them. My son made competition rockets two years ago with just 4 crossetts in each shell and they were received very well. The 1" crossetts were easier to make for the big shell but the 3/4" crossetts seem to be usable across more shells. I have tried 1/2" crossetts as well with little luck.

hey guys thank you all for your answers, I am glad to hear that I'll be able to use this size of crossettes in 4" shells, and I'm surprised to know that they can even work for 3" shells as mumbles mentioned, I supposed that for shells 3" & 4" I should use a comp that is not that slow burning, otherwise the star will burn all the way to the ground, any compositions you guys recommend? I was thinking using winokur 20 and possibly firefly. let me know what you guys think :)

I'm thinking give it a try. If it doesn't work you'll be the first to tell me so! Seriously there are a couple of things that can mess you up but it should be OK to do. Just be sure they are dry and don't shoot it next to a gas station!

Mark

Of course I won't be shooting next to a gas station, am I ? lol, I will post a video once I get this things flying up in the desert sky

Edited by asdercks
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
What size crossette would be possible to fire out of a 2 inch ball shell if at all possible