APC Forum

PVA Glue

schroedinger

Hi

If using PVA glue, how much pva needs to be dissolived for rolling tubes? 10% by weight god?

Also can it be used for pasting shells?

PVA = poly vinyl alcohol

Are you sure you want to use Polyvinyl alcohol as an adhesive? When you see talk of people using PVA as a glue or adhesive it is Polyvinyl Acetate, not Polyvinyl Alcohol. Polyvinyl Alcohol is sometimes added to Polyvinyl acetate glues as an additive or modifier, but it's not the primary adhesive. I could be mistake, but I don't believe the alcohol on it's own will be a particularly effective adhesive.

As Mumbles stated the better PVA glue is mixture of both Polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH) and Polyvinyl acetate (PVAc), with boric acid to help with setting,, increased bond strength, etc. and Thiocyanates to increase shelf life of the glue.

Maybe you could add some boric acid to improve your PVOH glue.

For more detailed info on PVA glue ingrediants & compositions you can see it at the following link :

http://www.google.com/patents/US3213051

I'm assuming you either mean white glue or wood glue. I use woodglue thinned with an equal amount of water if that helps.

Edit: If you do mean polyvinyl alcohol, according the link provided by Exo above, 20% is the recommended concentration.

Edited by BurritoBandito

Hi

I did a couple test. 20% is way to thick for tubes, but propably is suited for use as paste for canistes shells maybe also for pasting ball shells.

A 10% version makes rock hard tubes, much harder then the commercial tubes i got. But a 6 % version works a little better as you can just paste in the paper a little thicker and don't get an problems with evaporation (prob. nit needed during winter)