APC Forum

pyrotecnic charcoal

paddy

I was wondering about this as well. I have an enormous guinea pig habitat I could scavenge for free wood chips. Good to know my plan is viable.

If I remember correctly guinea pigs produce cecotropes (dence black pellets) like rabbits. When changing the bedding do you make sure to return as many as possable? They are very moist and more dense compaired to the fecal pellets taking longer to cook.

I bet you got roots all over the ground to.

Oh, I finaly get it! That is very clever, especialy when you concider the fact that poi is made with the corm...

...not the roots. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am torn by that chart. On one hand I wish I had seen it years ago when I started performing fire dust poi. One the other hand I am hooked on hickory which isn't on the chart, it has a good burn time, the way the sparks can pop an split multiple times is spectacular and it smells great.

I also like adding 80 mesh to my charcoal stars.

Anyone use "used" bedding? I can be a notorious cheapskate, and I have used my rabbits dry portions of bedding including her pellets. Wile I don't like it in my poi cages I have gotten saticfactory results for a firework dabbler.

Am i the only one who doesn't get it?

• 3 weeks later...

Roger I am sorry I just saw where you posted the picture like a month ago... LOL...... that is Silver Maple. Silver Maple trees are a double edged sword... on one hand, they are fast growing, and make the best shade trees there is. However, they are inherently weak, and storms easily split em and tear em down. They grow like weeds around here too.

Thanks Brad. I have some cleaned up to roast. Going to give it a try. It feels pretty light.

• 4 years later...

I know that I am pulling up an old post but I am trying to find out more about the Chinese Tallow Tree from Paddy.

Have you had success in making good charcoal from it? I am in South Louisiana and this tree is everywhere. I also saw that is was considered for an alternate fuel source. I know that I need to make some and test it, but if you have already done so and find out some results it will save me time of doing it myself.

Thank for any advice with this.

Edited by CityPigeonPyro