APC Forum

maltese pasting of a ball shell

pyroman2498

So , I made a video on pasting maltese style for ball shells , I love this method of pasting because it's so easy and fast

In one part of the video I say paste the top, this is not needed , you can just paste around the equator and not have to poke a whole onto the paper for the time fuse ,

Here is De video -http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w3wCogjDTmw

I usally don't use duck tape but it's all I had laying around , sorry that the duct tape ruined the video for you..... I use what I have around, I was just trying to show how it's done not win any awards .... Edited by pyroman2498

I really have to ask. You're clearly trying to make an instructional video. If you're not going to do it right, why bother making a video at all about it? I mean, you used duct tape, computer paper, and the computer paper circles themselves are not even the right size.

Also, I had a few more questions.

1. Are you sure this is a maltese method? I've seen the general method before, but it's not in the context of anything maltese. The few pictures I've seen of maltese ball shells and them being manufactured clearly show the use of strip pasting.

2. Are there any videos of shells of this type being fired? I'd particularly like to see them back to back with a traditionally made shell.

I wasn't going for and instructional video to help ,, just something so I can document how I did it , but I thought maybe if someone who made maltese ball shells saw they could tell me what I'm doing wrong ,

I saw 2 videos , one of someone else doing this and one of an actual maltese guy doing it , I can give you both video links if you would like ?

No i haven't seen any videos of these types of shells going off , but I liked the concept so I decided I would try it .

All in all I'll probably take down the video once I go to the shoot next month and re film it with live material , and I'll post the results

Here are the 2 videos I was talking about

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDkyrSEWUc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDkyrSEWUc

Those are the same links. I've also seen that one, though don't speak Russian and have no idea what he's saying. Not that this gives any credence to it being a legitimate technique.

sorry mumbles , i thought those were the to 2 different links

here is the other link -

I notice in this video their ball shells are spiked? Would that be why they would use this method , to maybe make it easier to paste than strips across the spiking ?

Edited by pyroman2498

The video in the last post is what I have also seen before. I believe other cultures/countries may also spike them as well. I also believe I could fathom a pretty good guess, but it would be just that.

Mark

I just seen a Maltese video of a guy strip pasting a "vertically" spiked ball shell. I think the spiking might just be there to hold the shell together. Maybe in the thought it will reinforce the shells equator.

That circle pasting seems to be pretty fast and dirty method for pasting shells. I think it would benefit more on larger shells.

From my first few trys with it ive gotten a pretty nice round shell out of it, i figured out the diameter that works for my 3" hemis, At the club shoot next month im gonna build a few with this method and strip method and see if there is a difference in the brake.

Maybe if i see lambent there ill force him into helping with this so we can get a sizable quantity out for consistency , :P

Anyways , maybe someone will give this a try and work out the kincks in the pasting method, im not saying what i did is 100% troditional, im just going off 2 videos i saw, and i seem find it faster :)

• 2 weeks later...

Maltese method is very convenient! On the links at the beginning of this theme I was shooting, I know that you do not understand Russian, so if you have questions can ask. Thank you!