APC Forum

First shell ideas?

AldoSPyro

Hey apc forum, im kind of new to the forum but not to pyrotechnics. Ive been thinking for a while about what should i make for my first "real" firework shell. I was thinking of making either a 3" color with bottomshot, or a 3" solid fuel lampare. (FYI the fuel in the lampare is a mix naphthalene and charcoal, and the burst is granulated bp). I have made small 1" shells in the past, but i want to create my first "real" shell. Looking for any opinions on what i should do for some of my first shells.

If you have any suggestions or ideas that would be great! :D

A 3" color cylinder is a nice start but skip the bottom shot until you have the construction of the color shell down.

I would start with a 3" shell with c6 or c8 stars. Skip the bottom shot and lampara until your construction technique is solid.

i agree with dag get a feel for what your doing.. baby steps as bill murray would say

Yes. Absolutely. A bottom shot that went wrong will destroy your equipment. A good C6 or C8 shell is perfect for a first shell. The comps are very very cheap and extremely beautiful.

I prefer chrysanthemum of mystery , but it's a pain when it gets water locked

Also , start with ball shells , I find them much easier than cylinder shells , and are more preferable for a beginner pyro

Edited by pyroman2498

Also , start with ball shells , I find them much easier than cylinder shells , and are more preferable for a beginner pyro

This. I TOTALLY agree. I also think they tend to be more symmetrical, and, ever being the cheapskate, for the dimension, they tend to consume a lot less resources.

I pretty much only make ball shells for effects, and salutes are made of cylinders.

B!

Cylinders are my favorite , but for the beginner it's much easier because you don't have to spike a ball shell as you would cylinder shell and getting formers can be a pain.

Cylinders are great for inserts and multiple brake shells

Edited by pyroman2498

A soda can works fine as a former for 3" cylinder shells

The easy stars are tiger tail! they use the same ingredients as BP but they have to be dried properly. For the impatient pyro use a veline mix, with acetone as the binder they are ready to fire in an hour.

It matters little whether you make plastic ball shells or paper ones, or cylinder shells -BUT it's unlikely that a beginner will get all three right first time as the make-up is different. I'd start with a paper ball shell

Thanks so much for all the great advice, also the tutorial on how to use a soda can as a case former was great! Once I get some more supplies I will probably make a 3" color can shell with Tiger Tail stars. Also should I use pumped stars or cut stars, and if pumped what size star pump should I use? Also should I use time fuse or a spollette? I know that spollettes have a much more sturdy design for use in can shells, but I don't have much experience making them.

If your using a color star 1/4 " if your using streamer 3/8" should work

Spolettes or time fuse will work fine. I prefer spolettes, they spit more fire and are easy to make. I also think that pasting the shells is easier with them than time fuse.