APC Forum

1.4 artillery shell burst question

SideGlance

does anyone know what exactly company's are using for there burst in common 1.4g 1.75" cylinder shells? exalibur, pro shell etc...

SideGlance,

Just curious, why do you ask?

someone i know wanted to know if it was safe to mix the contents and dump into a bigger shell, but i wasnt sure about what exactly is in the powder.

I can say that whatever they use for burst, it will destroy a rack if the shell is inserted the wrong way. Be careful with your dissection.

burns like slow flash... there is metal in it as it is bright but you never know what exactly it is so ill advise him to not do it as you dont know the chemicals used... could be a death mix

I have discected a Excals and Proshells, the contents vary a little depending on a few factor. I would NOT consider it safe to take several apart and attempt to create a bigger shell. Edited by nater

I've done it myself too. They're actually quite easy to disassemble safely... or used to be. The red clay plugs inside crumble very easily, then you just remove the cardboard disc covering the stars/burst.

The newer Excalibur shells (past two years) use a completely different plug material now that's white and hard as a rock. It will not crumble out easily anymore... so I would avoid that brand. All the others still use the red/brown clay that's easily removed.

It's more fun making your own stuff though...

just pulled apart a wolf pack radical recoil shell the other day that had the fuse fall out last year..

looks like rice hulls and flash.. was def. a light aluminum color, not as dark as the flash i have made but still more like flash then BP..

going to try and turn the stars and BP from that shell into a mine and see what happens..

Diablos have no burst filler, just stars and -I'm sure- flash, maybe something like 10890/kperc

are you guessing or you know maserface?

I don't believe it. I shot Diablos, and they're just ok. If it was flash, you'd see and hear it... they don't have either quality.

It's likely a kclo4,S,Charcoal,Al mix... but not straight flash.

Slow flash maybe, but I will crack another one open and take better look!

I think the manufacturers have to be careful with using straight flash to break their shells. If the intent isn't to sneak blatantly overloaded product in, you can bet that they will use slightly more subtle methods.

I second the notion that the burst is perchlorate based, and I agree that it has aluminum, sulfur, and charcoal in some proportion.

My confusion is how the stars hold up against flash without shattering at all. They must be using a super strong binder for stars in shells like the Pros and Excals, etc.

When I ever get a chance to visit China, I'll make Liuyang my first place to stop : )

Exotic binders aren't necessary. Slightly more than normal dextrin will hold up to straight flash breaks. Look into spider shells. Plenty of other conventional binders can achieve this sort of hardness as well.

I'm not saying this is what they use, just that's it's that big of a feat.

I think what is more impressive is the Chinese's ability to ensure that their star ignition is as good as it is with the hard bursts. I have said it before, I do not think the breaks on Excals and their clones are worth striving for, but they do get most of the stars to light.

ill be honest with you.. i took a exalibur shell dumped out the contents, poured half back in. Then added a 2 gram flash bag then dumped the rest of the stuff in sealed with glue.. the burst was twice as big and it seemed like most of the stars lit. I think the key is confinment

I think what is more impressive is the Chinese's ability to ensure that their star ignition is as good as it is with the hard bursts. I have said it before, I do not think the breaks on Excals and their clones are worth striving for, but they do get most of the stars to light.

I wonder what primes they actually use for their stars. As you said I can't imagine stars catching fire in Flash breaks. I couldn't even tell you how ruined a shell of mine would be if I used no BP for burst. I break my shells very hard as it is and shatter them!

I did watch a video of the dissection and it appears the stars are thrown in there and buried in the flash so maybe that's how they ignite easily.

Also regarding the confinement. It appears canisters are very easy to pop open, doesn't appear much confinement is used. If the shell was confined very well with the stock materials (not adding anything), maybe the break would be bigger?

Edited by LambentPyro

I think the manufacturers have to be careful with using straight flash to break their shells.

Not sure about the rest of the world, but over here in Sweden, we are seeing more and more flash-based break-charges for the "larger" commercial pyro. (1.3g stuff, none permit.) Reason being stupid rules. They decided to limit load weight, without accounting for what sort of pyro compound was / is used.

B!

I wonder what primes they actually use for their stars. As you said I can't imagine stars catching fire in Flash breaks. I couldn't even tell you how ruined a shell of mine would be if I used no BP for burst. I break my shells very hard as it is and shatter them!

I did watch a video of the dissection and it appears the stars are thrown in there and buried in the flash so maybe that's how they ignite easily.

Also regarding the confinement. It appears canisters are very easy to pop open, doesn't appear much confinement is used. If the shell was confined very well with the stock materials (not adding anything), maybe the break would be bigger?

The canisters have fairly thin walls, but huge clay plugs in each end. About half the shell is clay, burst and stars are bulk filled and the whole thing is pressed together. The breaks are probably as big as they can be, but way too sloppy.