APC Forum

Youth size fire suits

Jordan

Has anybody seen youth size fire suits or fire-resistant clothing? I found a 3-layer racing suit in youth medium at Summit racing, it's made of pyrovatex but it's a bit on the expensive side. Plus it only comes in that one size. Are there any companies that even bother making fire-proof clothes (t-shirt, pants) preferably cotton that fit 13 and under?

Racing suits might be your best bet for your size. There are small fire suits in women's sizes.

At your age, I would wonder if it would be worth the investment. You'll quickly outgrow them. For club shoots, I think boots, jeans, a long sleeve fire resistant shirt like a welding jacket and a hard hat with ear and eye protection is sufficient. I prefer a little more PPE when firing displays due to the increased fallout right in the shooting area during the display. Club shoots are much more laid back and you can get away quicker if need be.

Good Nomex is really expensive, but you can get jeans and shirts and jackets. However you will grow out of them sooner than you want to pay for a new set of clothes.

Heavy flame and spark retardant cotton is good. most important is to wear the kit every time.

• 1 month later...

The most important parts of the body to protect are the face, hands, and arms, because those are the parts that are most likely to be in the line of fire. They're also the parts that have the greatest impact on a child's future.

So, protect the kid's face, hands, and arms really WELL, and 100% of the time that they're near flammables and explosives.

Nomex balaclavas (hoods) are cheap on eBay. Helmets with face guards have fully-adjustable headbands.

Safety glasses come in a wide variety of sizes. If the kid wears glasses normally, you can have the next pair made with safety-glass lenses.

Nomex jackets come in a wide variety of sizes. Leather gloves also come in smaller sizes; and welder's leather sleeves can be adjusted to fit a smaller arm.

Really, there's no reason a kid cannot be just as well protected as an adult.

I'll post links later tonight.

-- Paravani