APC Forum

Open ended salutes (shell and roman candle inserts)

Jordan

I was opening up a "consumer" roman candle, magic lights by white ass, and noticed that that the small salutes were matched and primed on one end and on the other end of the tube was exposed flash. I have also seen this in insert tutorials and was wondering what kept the exposed flash from igniting. Does this have any effect on sound?

Thanks All, Jordan

How is this even possible? It would certainly ignite, if not spill out while tumbling through the air...

You should post a picture. Whatever you think your are seeing is most likely not what you describe.

I would like to see the tutorial you mention that describes inserts filled this way.

Probably just looks like flash. My Sky Thunder candles (a dud) looked the same way when I pulled it apart. It had grayish clay in one end of the tube.

I think it's what dagabu is referring to. It's just a fine gray powder, although it looks like it has little bits of bright aluminum. If this is some type of plug clay why would it have that? Here is a picture, it's hard to tell because i'm using a 4th gen Ipod but it does have small aluminum flitters.

"Consumer" Salute Insert (open ended?)

I just don't know, perhaps the tooling picks up some of the aluminum from the flash before pressing the plug?