APC Forum

How much degree taper should a rocket spindle have

dangerousamateur

I would suggest up and down motion when polishing your tool, rather then a turning motion. What ever scratches left after polishing will be in the direction of said motion, and logic dictates that a up down motion makes for easier removal. Just saying.

B!

Though I have to suppress a chuckle after reading that, polishing by hand is indeed easier along the length of the spindle but if you have a drill press or lathe, polishing the spindle rotary wise is just as good. The micro-scratching the polish does to the surface is too small for the comp to fill and bind on. The better the shine, the easier it is to remove.

Brass is indeed better overall for spindles, there really is no debate about this as the metallurgy is conclusive about its use in industry.

Not sure what that means Nate, the ACME rod goes all the way from the tip of the spindle to the base, the bottom nut is soldered on to the thread. No bolts on this spindle assembly. Look on Craigslist for lathes, in the Twin Cities, we allways have a crap ton of them available.

I meant nut, sorry, but there is no separate base, correct? Other HPA members have found used lathes, but then there is still the necessary shop space and learning how to use one too.