APC Forum

Effect Fuse for Star Core?

GP1230

Hey guys, I have a question. There is a ton of "effect" fuse out there such as strobe, flying fish, etc., and I just so happen to have quite a bit left over from other projects. Has anyone ever tried using small cut pieces as a star core? I don't think they would roll, but even sliding a small chunk inside a cut star would be kind of neat. My worry is, I am unfamiliar with the compositions used in these fuses and there is not a lot of information out there on these. My thought was to put a small piece in the center of a slower burning willow star but the thought of it being a kclo3 composition or something else incompatible has me worried. I will not even consider doing this without knowledge first hand at what compositions are used in these fuses. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks in advance.

Sadly, the water/acetone/coleman lantern fluid etc will ruin your effect fuse. The only time I was able to get good results was to use it as falling leaves after priming the ends and loading up a wad of it in a rocket canister shell.

That said, keep trying, you may yet figure something out.