APC Forum

Adding some Titanium in a colored star composition

psypuls

Adding a bit Titanium in colored star compositions will make a small nifty tail

To do this I believe a good finetuning is required, and more testing.

So far I didn't achieve great results but I know it can be done.

I want to ask for some help regarding this

how much Titanium sponge 100-250 µm

can I add in a veline star composition without removing the colored effect too much, i want to preserve like 75% of the color at least

I'm not sure what mesh size that equates to, but the ti sounds pretty fine. For a tail you want the ti to be a bit coarse so it mostly burns in the atmosphere behind the star. 5 to 10 percent of 40-80 mesh ti would be a good start.

Aluminum emits a lot of white light and will wash out colors. I think your 325 mesh will tend to wash out the color more than add a tail. Aluminum can add a bit of a tail but isn't the desired metal for the job. I have never attempted to use aluminum to make a tail in color stars, but I would imagine you would want fairly coarse flitters. Maybe someone else has more info on that.

Around 7% of roughly 60 mesh flake Titanium would pretty much do what you are looking for. Basically the same as the guys above my post mentioned.

It will probably be fine as well. Basically you just need to avoid getting too coarse or too fine. Too coarse, and the Ti doesn't always light. Too fine, and it burns up in the star instead of the tail, and washes out the color. Everywhere in between is just balancing tail length vs. spark density.

I used 50 mesh titanium sponge in this video:

Those are some nice long lasting stars. I'm using firefly alum right now for a bit of tail, they give off white and redish orange sparks.Though I would agree that titanium below 100 mesh is better for that. It's one of my next "to get" list.

Cut (dextrin). 15% Ti sponde.

If you use small titanium (less than 80 mesh), the star color head will be worse (lighter), because titanium will burn in head star.