APC Forum

Screen Bucket Media Separator

uncrichie

I'm building a 5 gallon bucket separator for separating milling media from BP. The plans call for the use of aluminum pop rivets for securing the bucket and stainless steel screen together. Is there any reason I couldn't use either brass or stainless screws and nuts instead of the pop rivets? Thanks. Kurt

I think that brass would be okay, but I'd personally avoid stainless steel. If you wouldn't use it for media, then it's probably best not to use it. I bet they used rivets to reduce the potential for a screw working itself loose and ending up in the powder. Edited by BurritoBandito

Caution when using rivets, be sure to push out the head of the expander pin from the finished rivet. These pins are normally metal on standard pop rivets and the head can work loose over time. Best to rivet from the inside of the bucket.

media seperator bucket

By chance, is this the same one that Ned Gorski uses on Fireworking?

Same bucket? No, this one was built after reading his article. I used 4 mesh galvenized hardware cloth but it is due to be replaced with SS screen. I think Ned went through the same scenario. Best to start with the stainless.

The one I'm making is from Neds article and I'm using stainless screen (boy was that expensive). The pop rivet gun I have is not strong enough to break the steel stud pin from the rivet after setting. I looked at a heavy duty rivet gun but its too big to fit into the bucket. The last resort would be to set the rivet with the riveter I have then dremel cut the pin from the rivet. Then I would have a mixture of metal dust and carborundum dust and chip residue all over inside the bucket which would be a safety hazard. I don't think I could wash all of it out?

Thats why I was thinking of using brass or stainless screws and nuts loctited together and its done? Any more suggestions? Thanks, Kurt

Edited by uncrichie

What size pop rivets are you trying to use?

No reason not to use the brass screws and nuts. You will probably need to use some sort of washers to keep the screw heads and nuts from pulling through the plastic bucket. The backing plate washers for pop rivet use would work.

The rivet is 3/16" diameter. This is the riveter http://www.harborfreight.com/swivel-head-hand-riveter-40690.html it works great on smaller 1/8" rivets no problem, snaps off the stud easily. However when I set 3/16" it will not cut/snap the pin. Some HF tools have limits I suppose this is it on this model riveter. I already have the rivet washers, 1/2" OD, they're made of aluminum. I don't think the dissimilar metals of brass/aluminum should be an issue?

If the tool is still gripping the pin and not slipping, and you haven't folded or bent the handles. Then your just not squeezing it hard enough . The tool doesn't cut the pin, it stretches it to a point of failure. At a predetermined, formed weak point. Edited by Carbon796

Another option: http://bucketscreen.com/ . Email John through the link on the page and ask about the media seperator. It fits inside a 5 gallon bucket and works great.

Carbon, thanks for that information I'll give it another try and see if I can get it to work.

Nater, that would have saved me some money. I'll have to remember that place for the future.

Yeah, it did save me some money. I would have had to buy a pop rivet tool and the rivets, so I came out ahead buying it from John. However, there is still something to be said about the gratification of doing it yourself.

Nater, your right about that I find the journey is sometimes more fun than the destination!

By the way Carbon, I tried the rivet gun again and put a little more muscle into it and you were right it works just fine.

Thanks again everyone, mission accomplished. Kurt

• 1 year later...

Beating a dead thread but I think this fits-

Found this media separator on another site and ordered me one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J4F09O?dpID=41uT1tt1rbL&dpPl=1&keywords=media%20separator%20reloading&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1446733684&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_3&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop&sr=8-3

Fits a 5 gallon bucket and is CHEAP.

Beating a dead thread but I think this fits-

Found this media separator on another site and ordered me one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J4F09O?dpID=41uT1tt1rbL&dpPl=1&keywords=media%20separator%20reloading&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1446733684&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_3&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop&sr=8-3

Fits a 5 gallon bucket and is CHEAP.

The built in handles are a nice feature for a separator, this would make it easier when pulling it out of a bucket. The bucket bottoms can get stuck together when stacked up and you need three hands to get them apart.

Great find, let us know how they work. Hopefully it will stand up to 30lbs of lead being shaken around in it.

I just took delivery of my hobfir mill today so I'll hopefully get to try all of it out tomorrow.

Update: The separator is sturdy, fits in a standard bucket and has uniform ¼" holes. Should last a long while. Heavier than I expected!

I'll post pics as soon as I get to use it.

Hey marine, I just got my separator in the mail yesterday. I ran 2 batches of bp in my mill and emptied the 35 pound load of lead into it and it held up just fine. I must say it seemed a little chinsy when I pulled it out of the box. I was expecting something much heavier. But like I said I emptied 2 mill jar loads into it and it didn't break so we will see how long it lasts.

It's a flexible plastic but seems durable. I don't think I'd dump a bucket full of media and BP in there at sub-freezing temps but otherwise it's looking good.

Yeah I'm trying to get enough bp made for my new years eve shoot before it gets to cold outside. Pastic and freezing temps don't go well together. Especially when you throw 35 pounds of lead in the mix haha.

I'm still trying to get my milling area readied for the first run of my new mill. I've been piddling with the HF tumbler but that's already too little! I've got my chems, media and tools ready so I'm getting antsy.

My harbor freight tumbler lasted me about a year before I had to go bigger. I built a double barrel mill per Ned gorski's tutorial on Fireworking.com it was expensive to build but boy does it work. I love my mill. Now it's nothing to make 3 pounds of bp in a short amount of time. With my hf mill that would have taken me days even weeks to make 3 pounds of bp.

I've got the hobfir mill with the pvc barrel but don't have my area complete. Filled sandbags this morning and am running my wire now. Should be testing it all tomorrow!