APC Forum

Fuming Acids

Zyklon39

Are fuming acids safe to handle without a gas mask and a fumehood??Does 90-95% H2SO4 release fumes?I couldn't find about it,just HNO3 and HCl...

No H2SO4 isn't fumining at that concentrations, but you will detect a light smell.

But fuming acids can't be handled without protection.

And be aware of the fact that you need a mask rated for acids not just a chacoal one for organics.

I've always found sulfuric acid of that approximate concentration to fume slightly when it's humid out. It's not the same as fuming acids. It probably functions similar to how HCl fumes, but to a lesser degree.

A real fume hood will be able to handle fuming acids without a problem with standard protective equipment (lab coat, gloves, etc.). A homemade fumehood, or none at all will probably require breathing protection as well. Even small whiffs of some acid fumes are quite irritating.

I used hydrochloric acid by the gallon when I did chemistry and the amount of fuming was horrible , it gave me major head aches , when I worked with 91 % H2SO4 I never seemed to have much of a problem as I only some of the time would get a smell of sulfur dioxide . Thank being said extrema caution should be used when handling acid as they are dangers , and as for fuming sulfuric acid , olieium is the only conc I have found to fume heavily ( it's 101%+ sulfuric acid ) but there is almost no way and a Un qualified person can get it

Stay safe and stay green

~Steven

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is, fuming acids burn not only lungs, but eyes as well and some can pass through skin. So, safety goggles are required, disposable lab coat and shoes are advised.

fuming hydrochloric and nitric acids require fume hood to work, I wouldn't count on gas mask. Even mildly concentrated they stink unhealthy.

while sulfuric acid even at 99% concentration is safe on it's own (it even does not burn in case of brief skin contact, though it does burn in case of prolonged contact), it produces fumes with many compounds (for example, chlorides) and can be sprayed around if something wrong will fall into it, so safety goggles are an absolute requirement, disposable or acidic-resistant clothes are also required and a fume hood is highly advised and for some uses is absolutely required.

ice acetic acid kinda stinks and I would use a fume hood because of it. It also passes skin easily, so gloves are required and wash hands immediately after each completed operations.

All acids above require latex gloves (check for holes) and disposable lab coat and shoes to be used.

hydrofluoric acid is a thing to avoid, no matter what equipment is at hand. Just as mixing of fluorides with any other fuming acid. Seriously.

diluted hidrochloric and sulfuric acids are probably the safest, even direct skin contact may result in no harm.

Edited by krakra

• 2 weeks later...

I always dread pouring out the nitric and sulphuric acid from those glass bottles that spill easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Acids are scary, I have a bottle of each (sulfuric, nitric, hydrochloric) and I don't use them much at all because of the dangers. HCl fumes like crazy, while sulfuric acid doesn't fume much at all.

About acid safety, a cleaning company in Taiwan made an employee clean a fire scene (homes in Taiwan are often reinforced concrete so structurally the building is never damaged in a fire, just scorched) with Hydrofluoric acid, without PPE and all. The employee suffered burns and poisoning. It's a wonder why the heck there aren't laws against this kind of thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I work with concentrated acids regularly. Knowing the dangers and preparing in advance are the most important things to do. Like gloves. Generally important to use but I stay away from them when handling acids of high concentration. Especially nitric. Never wear nitrile gloves when working with it. They react violently. Keep an easily accessible container of sodium bicarb close at hand to neutralize spills... Particularly on yourself. If you pour sulfuric on your hand and go for water, you may burn yourself as the acid can make water boil.

No lie these acids are beast. Know your chems and their dangers and you'll be ok. Danger is all around us in chemistry and pyro. Mitigate the dangers before so you don't have to react after.