APC Forum

Tube Suppliers?

nwpyro

Are there any good online suppliers for quality paper tubes for rocketry? I have looked around, but I have not managed to find any rated tubes, or NEPT tubes.

I am looking for half inch to an inch I.D. tubes rated for 4,000+ PSI. I think NEPT are around 6,000PSI ?

Edit: I guess I could also learn how to glue and roll high PSI tubes. Any good guides anyone could reccomend?

Edited by nwpyro

They are all NEPT. The 1 lb tubes come with two different wall thickness sizes. For core burning rockets, I have always used the standard thickness with no problems. I have some of the thicker ones for end burners and gerbs, which are more prone to burning through due to the long burn time. Edited by nater

The thicker tubes you can get away with not using a support sleeve too. I've pressed whistle motors unsupported in those tubes without an issue.

The thicker tubes you can get away with not using a support sleeve too. I've pressed whistle motors unsupported in those tubes without an issue.

This reminds me, I should test when the thicker tubes will split without a support. I've never pressed anything at too high of a pressure in them, no higher than 2500 or 3000 psi on the comp.

Perhaps... You can get away with that if the humidity is sufficient but as the tube dries, my tests show a significant reduction in overall LPI and whistle motors can and do crack over time when the tube is not properly supported. Store one for a year or two and shoot it, chances are much greater that it will CATO if not pressed to a higher LPI and with a stout tube support.

I'm sure you're correct... the whistle fuel I was using wasn't particularly hot either.

I don't normally store motors... maybe a month or two at most.

Either way, they're nice tubes... I usually only get the thicker ones.

Edited by ddewees

I'm sure you're correct... the whistle fuel I was using wasn't particularly hot either.

I don't normally store motors... maybe a month or two at most.

Either way, they're nice tubes... I usually only get the thicker ones.

Indeed, they are the gold standard.