APC Forum

spiking

eb11

I built a 2inch shell with a bottom shot what I made a mistake on is when I finished the shell it is very tight in the tube I am wondering if instead of hemp string can I spike it with the reinforced tape that you can get at staples

Yeah you can with the 1/2" fibreglass tape but result won't be as good as string.

Go to youtube and look at the displayfirework1 channel for the how to build a shell series, they show it there how to do it

Edited by schroedinger

Schroedinger, have you ever actually built a shell in your life? You regularly give questionable construction advice. If you have no practical experience, you shouldn't be steering people in the wrong direction. You also really shouldn't be relying on youtube, especially displayfireworks1 for your information. You may also want to consider actually giving links to the things you reference.

If you know what you're doing, strapping tape can be used with modified techniques. The ideal method is just to either find a larger mortar, or disassemble the shell and build it with the right proportions. The fact that you have a bottom shot on it, and haven't used this technique before would make me hesitant to say go for it. With such a small shell, you can probably get away with it, but it's not ideal and you really shouldn't get used to taking shortcuts like this.

Schroedinger, have you ever actually built a shell in your life? You regularly give questionable construction advice. If you have no practical experience, you shouldn't be steering people in the wrong direction. You also really shouldn't be relying on youtube, especially displayfireworks1 for your information. You may also want to consider actually giving links to the things you reference.

If you know what you're doing, strapping tape can be used with modified techniques. The ideal method is just to either find a larger mortar, or disassemble the shell and build it with the right proportions. The fact that you have a bottom shot on it, and haven't used this technique before would make me hesitant to say go for it. With such a small shell, you can probably get away with it, but it's not ideal and you really shouldn't get used to taking shortcuts like this.

Dave got the Superstring stuff right... Well, most of it. It was a good interview.

I meant more along the lines of construction advice. Unless he's teaching you how to make ground salutes, I would trust his advice about as much as the anarchist cookbook. If he's videotaping someone else (probably against their will), then it may be a different story.

• Like 3

If you have access to Passfire, there is an article about using strapping tape for spiking and gummed tape for the pasted layer in lieu of traditional spiking with twine and pasted kraft. I also believe that there is a small group within MPAG who frequently build cylinder shells spiked with strapping tape, so it can be done.

However, I would have to agree with Mumbles' first post. It might be best to disassemble the shell and try again. I have been trying to learn the traditional techniques before attempting other shortcuts. There are a few people in HPA who actually use duct tape to spike and fireproof small cylinder shells. These aren't competition worthy shells by any means, but more to quickly assemble and fire a shell to test stars. They had only tried this method on single break shells, so we tried a 2 color break. The shell fell apart with the lift, with the contents spilled over the ground and the time fuse burning into empty air. We didn't actually expect success, but it was worth a shot.

I meant more along the lines of construction advice. Unless he's teaching you how to make ground salutes, I would trust his advice about as much as the anarchist cookbook. If he's videotaping someone else (probably against their will), then it may be a different story.

I chased him out of manufacturing twice in Fargo.

@eb11, yes, the IPA club just made a dozen 3" cylinders shells using strapping tape on the second layer, all dry paper, no paste at all. Glue on the end disks and pleats only. All dozen worked perfectly...

I have actually order smaller end disks and will redo the salute and then redo the shell the final size will end up being what I have now for 2 inch shells. I made a boobo on my math for this shell I do want to do it right. I don't want to use the strapping tape I want to stay with what I know

Mumbles he just asked if it would be possible to take that shortcut, and as he wrote that he made a misstake by building it to big, I'm sure he knew that this is a shortcut which can save the shell, but won't give the best results.

And in that video is a documentation about a club shoot where he gets tought building shells, using that tape. He not actually teaching it himself.

So, by your deliberate avoidance of my initial question I take it that you have in fact never manufactured an aerial firework shell.