APC Forum

Rocket Fuel

Zyklon39

Ok...i don't know too much things about this but i want to learn about it.I know you need a small hole to obtain pressure and a slow or fast burning fuel made with an oxidizer and a fuel(maybe something to bind them too if they are a powder,or not?)

Would KClO3 and sugar be a good fuel?Maybe some Al too?

Hi mate,

Try doing a google search for r-candy rockets. Good starting point. Use the search button in the forums for different fuels and skylighter.com have tutorials on how they are built.

Jess

Why not used tried and tested fuel? You can make sugar based fuel with KNO3. Sugar and chlorate is actually a fairly sensitive and powerful mix depending on ratios. With aluminum you would basically have a flash variant. Not that it wouldn't make for rocket fuel. You just know nothing about it's characteristics without experimenting. Or fairly sophisticated modeling software.

Also, just an FYI, you can make some fairly impressive rockets without a traditional choke or nozzle. Whistle rockets are usually of this type, as are the aptly named nozzle-less BP rockets.

Hi mate,

Try doing a google search for r-candy rockets. Good starting point. Use the search button in the forums for different fuels and skylighter.com have tutorials on how they are built.

Jess

The only way to get KNO3 is making it with NH4NO3.Looks like it's easier to get NH4NO3 than KNO3 where i live.I THINK it is also somehow...fairly pure.Nice looking white pellets.I used 80g and 40g NaOH to make NaNO3 and got 66g or NaNO3 because i lost some of it so i think there aren't many impurities.Anyway,i have to make the KNO3 if i want to use it.I don't know if i can get KCl so i think it will be a long way...React HCl with KOH then KCl with NH4NO3 just to make some KNO3 lol...Same for the chlorate(by using the boiling bleach method.I found bleach which has 30% NaClO si i think i should get a good amount of it.).

Btw...do you know a way to make KClO4 using KClO3?The only condition i have is to be explosion-free(or chanches to lead to an explosion)...

I must check how much legal is this here too before doing it but since I don't hurt anybody and I don't want to make an explosive mixture i think it should be ok...

@Zyklon39: I'm sure if you look around you'll find KNO3. If you do decide to make it from NH4NO3, I'd personally use sodium bicarb over the hydroxide, due to the caustic nature of the hydroxide. If you don't mind my asking where are you located?

@Zyklon39: I'm sure if you look around you'll find KNO3. If you do decide to make it from NH4NO3, I'd personally use sodium bicarb over the hydroxide, due to the caustic nature of the hydroxide. If you don't mind my asking where are you located?

Europe.The problem isn't that i can't find KNO3 for sell,the problem are the sellers.They don't want to sell it.The people in this country(Romania,it was a comunist country some years ago)...i might have surprises even if i ask about Potassium Chloride,because they might don't know it's uses so they will think it's something bad.It's very annoying.Even HCl is considered as bad as an explosive or a very toxic substance...The law clearly says that they are not allowed to think about a terrorist or criminal intention when they sell the stuff which they must sell because it's their god damn job but they are close minded.

I don't really care about the NaOH...a bigger problem is the NH3.It's just corrosive(NaOH).If i'm careful with it then nothing bad will happen.

Anyway,i want a nitrate that is almost pure,not a ferilizer.

Edited by Zyklon39

If it is that bad over there, is this hobby really worth the risk?

If it is that bad over there, is this hobby really worth the risk?

What risk?Of being criticized by stupid people who think rocketry is bad?I don't give a fuck about them.

If you are working outside or in a properly ventilated hood the NH3 shouldn't be an issue.

If you are working outside or in a properly ventilated hood the NH3 shouldn't be an issue.

It's not...but when you're working with a toxic invisible gas your own mind can become an issue if you felt it's smell like I did...

Why do you wan't to make su much work out of that task, just go and get fertilizer grade pottasch and cook it with you AN. This yield ammonia carbonate which evaporates at 60ºC (yielding NH3 an CO2) and Pottasium nitrate. You need to that outside and whith not to big batches if you don't have the right area available (whole field and fume protection)

...Anyway,i want a nitrate that is almost pure,not a ferilizer.

I doubt your going to make anything much more pure than a fertilizer or stump remover grade KNO3. If I were you, I'd just go buy some.

• Like 1