APC Forum

olive charcoal

Mike

Hi

Does someone has experience with olive charcoal?

I have quite a god supply of it or better go for maple that i can also easly get (but just a wood itself)

I don't personally have experience with either of those woods. I would expect olive to be faster than maple, and maple to be a better spark producer due to the sap content.

Edit: " Soft woods and hard woods are designations for the carpenters, but for pyro, the terms get confused. Balsa and pine make great charcoal, but so do maple and willow." - Danny Creagan

So apparently maple makes good BP. Shows what I know ;)

Edited by BurritoBandito

If you have to chose between otherwise untested woods for powder, then it's up to you to do the testing, which demands a very high standard of workmanship to ensure that small lab batches are made by similar methods to get good results.

If you have a good supply of charcoal then it's a great project, but if you intend to buy charcoal then just buy a locally available charcoal that's good for powder.

Not all maples produce significant quantities of sap. I would at least avoid harvesting maple wood while it's producing sap in the spring.

No idea on the olive wood though. You'll have to test it. At least you'll have a backup in maple should olive wood not pan out.