APC Forum

My first 12 inch shell fired 5/17/14

Dean411

Here is a video of a 12 inch willow diadem to blue you tube keeps posting the video upside down so my apologies for that and the profanity but it was a big moment for me.

That was bad a$$ed! Just the sound of the break was impressive alone.

Nice rising he he. GREAT work :) sure that was a BIG moment :D.

very nice for a first timer for sure.

Can you tell us something about the specifications?, I am curious if things worked out for you.

Do you have prefire pics?

How were the petals constructed?

The outer petal stars were 1.125 in diadem rolled onto 3/8 blue cores

post-11493-0-82165900-1400515066_thumb.jpg

the outer burst was Bp on cotton seed , the inner petal cavity was shaped witha 6 inch hemi that was then removed and the cavity was filled with 3/8 turquoise stars with bp on rice hulls and 15 grams of 35/35/30 booster from tye spanish pdf. Then 1/4 inch independence red stars were added.

post-11493-0-71347800-1400515164_thumb.jpg

I didnt get a prefire pic as of all the excitement but it was essentially the same as the 8 inch posted belowpost-11493-0-03403500-1400515276_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dean411

I wish it had a couple hundred more feet of height but that was the fault of the lift powder aside from that I was very pleased.

I have video from the audience perspective and will post it when I can get the chance .

Dean

Were the independence red stars just mix in with the burst for a pistil? I honestly didn't really even notice them in the video until you mentioned them. Great looking shell.

That was a beautiful shell, Dean. I look forward to the audience perspective video. Sort of off topic, but do you know if any of the other B line activity was filmed from the crowd?

Chris (mumbles) the Independence red stars were just put on top of the inner petal burst before closing the shell , not mixed in.

Chris (fish) My wife was filming alot of the bline activity however the prez wasnt announcing everything as he usually does so she missed some of it, I havent reviewed all of her video yet was tyere a particular shell you were looking for?

Dean

Wow ! 12 inches, that's a cannon with some serious freight to lift ! , beautiful ! I could send some of my 3" to use as filler...... hehehe :)

Yet another person named Chris found a specific video I was looking for, but there was a lot of cool stuff from that shoot that would be worth replaying! I'll stop hijacking the thread now. Did I mention what a nice shell you had? :)

I still don't see the red but I'm on a phone (though it is a 5" HD screen).

The blue looked great and don't normally video well. Did it look as deep blue in person? Mind sharing the formula?

I don't have the pdf handy, but does the booster have metal content? There looks like something burning from the burst that fades quickly and almost looks like feti? Just curious.

Amazing. ..!!

I still don't see the red but I'm on a phone (though it is a 5" HD screen).

The blue looked great and don't normally video well. Did it look as deep blue in person? Mind sharing the formula?

I don't have the pdf handy, but does the booster have metal content? There looks like something burning from the burst that fades quickly and almost looks like feti? Just curious.

I suspect what you are seeing is the prime on the inner petal stars burning off.

The blue is one of the best blues I have ever used it is blue up close and blue far away it has great compatibility with other chems and only contains 4 chemicals(it is a modified Hardt #6) the coloring agent is copper oxychloride and the chlorine donor is dechlorane.

all other chlorine donors give an inferior effect, the closest most people would be able to get would be with saran resin which is Mike Swishers version he calls (Swisher sweet Blue) however there is a noticeable difference between sweet blue and hardt#6.

I plan to make the shell again for our clubs july shoot so I can see it at the correct height.

Dean

Are you using the original dechlorane (604?) that has not been manufactured in quite some time? Or the dechlorane plus that is currently on the market? And contains a bit of hydrogen the original didn't?

So the formula is Hardt #6 using copper chloride and dechlorane? What kind of perc are you using? Always interested in a good blue.

Looked damn good! I totally missed seeing the red in the pistil too, wasn't till I red Mumbles post and watched it again that I seen it.

Don't think I'll ever get into making shells that large. I''l just enjoy them visually and Dean, that was great!

I suspect what you are seeing is the prime on the inner petal stars burning off.

The blue is one of the best blues I have ever used it is blue up close and blue far away it has great compatibility with other chems and only contains 4 chemicals(it is a modified Hardt #6) the coloring agent is copper oxychloride and the chlorine donor is dechlorane.

all other chlorine donors give an inferior effect, the closest most people would be able to get would be with saran resin which is Mike Swishers version he calls (Swisher sweet Blue) however there is a noticeable difference between sweet blue and hardt#6.

I plan to make the shell again for our clubs july shoot so I can see it at the correct height.

Dean

Is this the right formula for Hardt 6 blue?

Hardt Blue Star #6Potassium perchlorate 	62Copper oxychloride 	12Sulphur 	18Dechlorane 	4Dextrin 	4

I modified it to

58 kcl04

15 copper oxychloride

18 s

5 dechlorane

4 dextrin

Dean

That was wild, nice work! What did that end up weighing?

21 lbs.

This is a big job! I know. Congratulations! ;) I hope we will see more. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but I have questions :rolleyes:

What weight ВР bursting charge?

What's this - "15 grams of 35/35/30 booster from tye spanish pdf"? Reagents...

Thanks for the answer!

Total burst weight I believe was in the range of 5lbs.

the booster 35/35/30 is

35% Kcl04

35% Kn03

30% Dark Aluminum.

Dean

Are you using a blackhead Al like German or Indian, or something more akin to the american dark Al that is used in flitter and streamer composition? US Bronze 809 or Eckhart 10890.

Sorry Mum

Indian Blackhead al

dean

Edited by Dean411