APC Forum

My New Chemical Order

JMAPscience

I just got some money about 120$, Am ready to order some stuff. Any ideas on useful chemicals or glass ware I should get. Im ordering my things from united nuclear. Thanks

What you need to get depends entirely upon what you want to do.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I don't know why you would need glassware particularly. What are you interested in making. That will definitely help us show you what would be best.

I like every part of chemistry mainly in and organic chemistry

I have 4 250ml beakers

50ml and 250ml flask

250ml round bottom flask

As far as general chemistry goes, I really can't help you. It sounds like you aren't looking for pyro gear. Is that assumption correct?

Stop. You really should not order anything from UN. It's simple a waste of money. There are much better suppliers out there for chemicals and labware. By better, I mean cheaper, lots cheaper.

I started ordering from UN, and at the end of things, I could have had so much more, but I had nearly nothing. Really, find another source.

For basic organic chemistry you will need at least to have a couple round botto flasks in the range of 10 -250ml, a cooler which can be used for reflux cooking and distillation. All other parts you need to convert this cooler into a distill (Heading, Vacuum connector, if possible a vigreux style colum).

Also need a heating plate (pref with magnetic stirrer) and an oil bath (made of candles is god enough fof the beginning and most tasks).

Also get a fish tank pump for the cooler, saves a lot of Water costs.

For chemicals there are just a couple chemicals worth to keep at home, mainly sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate, sodium thiosulfate, calcium chloride, nitric -; hydrochloric-; and sulfuric acid.

And get some solvents, acteon, diethyl ether and dichlormethane / trichlormethne.

You will need these every couple steps. All other chemicals can be buyed if you need them for a special project, but you don't need to store them for a long time.

I have the solvents and I came make the acid and I have a few. What I really need is a distillation apparatus all glass any recommendations on that. It would have to have a thermometer and addition funnel.

The best thing would be to go for a liebig style cooler and a claisen style distilation head.

I'm not sure wheter NS 14 or 19 is is the standart in the US but go for one of those sizes (whichever is you standart). For the Thermometer get one of those quickfits witch can be used with a normal thermometer.

If you want some good suppliers I'll pm you them :)

As far as glassware I just need to know if you do small scale or large scale

experiments

Ground glassware is an investment well worth it

As far as chemicals ethyl acetate , dichloromethane , mineral acids , sodium and potassium salts are great to start. Bleach,ammonia, vinyl gloves , methyl ethyl ketone , ect are precursors to hydrazine sulfate and for luminol. It all really depends on what part of organic chemistry you like. If you like smells I suggest starting with esters and esterfications , like the Fischer esterfication To methyl benzoate.

Edited by pyroman2498

Good lab equipment collection costs MUCH more than $120

Here is a list I would set as a long-term goal.

glassware:

round-bottom three-neck flasks: 50, 100, 250, 500 (preferable 2-5 of 50-500 sizes)

round-bottom one-neck flasks: 500, 1000, 2000 ml flasks for solvent distillation, other sizes if needed.

Erlenmeyer flask: 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000 with at least 3 and preferably 5-10 of 100-500 varieties (they are used to temporary keep all kinds of solutions, so you'll never have enough of them)

Pipettes: 1, 5,10 ml; 2-3 each.

Graduated cylinders:10, 50, 100, 250. 500, 1000, at least 3 and preferably 5-10 of 10-100 sizes.

beakers: 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 5000 ml. with at least 5 of 50-250 varieties and at least two 500-2000 varieties.

Buchner flask: 250, 1000 ml at least (only with vacuum pump)

Buchner funnels: one big and one small. (only with vacuum pump)

Liebig condenser, for distillation: one very long and one medium

Allihn condenser: at least one, preferably 2-3

Drying tube: at least one, preferably 2-3

Still head, still reciever: 2-3 each

simple funnels: at least 3 of different sizes

syringes. 5,10,20 ml. Used in conjunction or in place of pipettes.

plugs. Many of them.

Non-glassware equipment:

fume hood. In case of real interest I suggest to install one.

lab stands: at least one, but 3 or more preferable.

weigher, 100 mg capable, 1 mg capable preferably

magnetic stirrer, heating capable, and collection of teflon-coated magnetic sticks of different sizes for round-bottom and Erlenmeyer flasks

vacuum pump (50 torr is enough, mostly for vacuum filtration).

water distiller (or stick with commercial distilled water sometimes available in big stores)

Gas compressor, for quick drying of flasks

Oven for 120-200 C, for drying freshly-washed glassware.

There is much of equipment that is rarely used, but is a strict requirement

As for chemicals

Most common solvents are hexane, benzene (but it is preferable to use toluene instead if possible), acetone (it is rarely need to actually perform a reaction, so no need to search something extra pure, but it is invaluable for washing), ethyl and/or isopropyl alcohol, dichloroethylene. All this solvents require proper ventilation, preferably a fume hood, to work with. Severity of the smell does NOT correlate with long-term toxicity.

Most often used chemicals are:

sulfuric acid (it is cheap so it sometimes used in ridiculous amount, it is good to put your hands on 20 l bottle of it)

nitric acid both for nitration or dissolving some compounds, 1-2 l will be good.

Hydrochloric acid (1-2 l)

Sodium or potassium hydroxide (usually either of them will work) - 4 kg for a start

Potassium permanganate and/or potassium bichromate are often used as oxidative agents and are often

sodium sulphate, calcium chloride, both anhydrous - often used as drying agent

Ammonia, 25% - only at open air or with fuming hood. Often used as gentle base, a common ligand etc. 1 l is enough for a start.

Sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate - 1 kg each.

Zn and Fe dust - often used as reducers in acidic solutions

Oxalic acid - a gentle acid, and is invaluable in cleaning MnO2.

Other choices of chemicals depend on particular field of interest.

Probably forgot something, but this list is a good start.

I'd start with weigher, magnetic stirrer and distillation/refluxing equipment and then move for other equipment required in particular field of interest.

Edited by krakra